Mac Pro 1,1 slowed to a crawl after ssd upgrade

Reaction score
I have a mac pro 1,1 which I recently upgraded with a 128gb crucial V4 ssd too along with 2GB more ram bringing me to a total of 4GB. I cloned my startup disk to the ssd, and for about 3 weeks it ran the fastest I've ever seen it with startup times around the 10-15 second range. after that point, it slowed to a crawl. it now takes over 2 minutes to startup, graphics are choppy, and apps take forever to launch. even changing tabs on chrome causes the graphics to lag, and sometimes the pinwheel to appear. I have done a virus scan using Avast! which turned up nothing. Any ideas what may be causing this?

Reaction score
Lets start by seeing if there are alot of startup items loading when you boot the computer.
system preferences / user accounts/ click your user account then select log in items.

You will be able to see a list of items that load when you boot osx. You can disable any of them by checking the items and then clicking the - to remove them. You may want to repair permissions after this.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
1. Get of of Avast. There are no Mac OS X viruses.

2. Don't know about Crucial, however OWC technicians are quite adamant an SSD should not be cloned from a platter drive. Slows the SSD.

3. Recommended method is format the SSD, do a clean install and then Migration Assistant to transfer everything over.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.