ibook keyboard

D

dan from pa

i spilled a can of coke on my mac. (dumb move i know) and luckily there's no internal damage, but the keys on the one side are extremely sticky and hard to push down. Any suggestions on how to clean this?

thanks,
dan

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro Retina
you can get a new replacement keyboard, but I suggest alcohol.

OP
D

dan from pa

yeah. so. i cleaned it with alcohol and the keys worked great. Except now I turn it on, and it goes through the usual screens but when the gray apple on the white screen shows up, it switches to black with text that looks like a bunch of error messages. Any ideas on what this is?
Thanks,
dan

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
that is a kernel panic. I would suggest running your hardware test CD. Either that or you can try to use your Install/Restore CD to do an Archive and Install of the OS again.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
why is cleaing a keyboard with alcohol safe?

OP
R

radarbob

IMHO you could immerse the whole keyboard in water and let it soak - as long as it not receiving power / attached to the computer. I'd try to get as pure / PH balanced quality H2O as possible. I.E. if your tap water has hi mineral content (like ours), don't use that. Let it soak - an hour? a day?

You might try taking the keys off where goop seems to be accumulated so you can clean it off. The keys do pop off but be gentle.

Let the keyboard dry for a day or two - make sure it's absolutely dry. I would avoid applying heat to make it dry faster.

If you're at the point of having to replace the keyboard, then it's worth a shot.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Powermac g4 400mhz, 10gb, 256mb ram, OS9
OP
D

dan from pa

I can't run the hardware test CD or any other CD.
The keyboard is fine now, I just can't do anything with the computer.
It is a G4 by the way
Thanks,
Dan

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.