External Display Resolution Headache

Reaction score
I am trying to connect my 2010 MBP (10.6.8) to a Toshiba 39" LED HDTV (39L22U) through miniHDMI. I am extending the display, not mirroring it, and want a 1920x1080 60Hz resolution, but that is not an option on the list. "1080p (Television)" is one of the options, but it most certainly looks terrible just like most of the other resolutions. I have found that the best looking option strangely enough is 1360x768 60Hz, but 768p is not ideal and I know that the TV is capable of much more.

I have downloaded programs like Switchresx and others to workaround and try to let me select the resolution, but have had no success with them. It kept telling me the resolution was invalid or something. Google has told others with a similar problem to use a miniDVI adapter, but the TV doesn't have DVI inputs and I would like to use the HDMI. I just got off the phone with Toshiba customer support and they told me that this is a Mac issue because the MBP sets the resolution, not their glorious TV.

Why will my computer offer everything up to 1600x900 60Hz, but not the one thing I'm looking for 1920x1080 60Hz?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I believe in order to get the 1920 x 1080 resolution on the TV you'll need to mirror the display and shut the lid on the MacBook Pro at the same time. Otherwise it will default to whatever resolution the MBP is using when you extend the display. You might take a look and read through our Sticky Thread in the "Other Hardware Forum" regarding hooking your Mac to a TV. It's located at the top of the forum.

OP
S
Reaction score
I believe in order to get the 1920 x 1080 resolution on the TV you'll need to mirror the display and shut the lid on the MacBook Pro at the same time. Otherwise it will default to whatever resolution the MBP is using when you extend the display. You might take a look and read through our Sticky Thread in the "Other Hardware Forum" regarding hooking your Mac to a TV. It's located at the top of the forum.

That's bizarre... I really don't want to have to close the laptop. Would I be better off posting this in that sticky?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
SwitchResX is very capable. But if your TV isn't reporting it can handle the resolution it won't force what it believes to be an incompatible resolution.

How exactly are you connecting to the TV?
If you do go close the lid can you then choose 1080p?

OP
S
Reaction score
SwitchResX is very capable. But if your TV isn't reporting it can handle the resolution it won't force what it believes to be an incompatible resolution.

How exactly are you connecting to the TV?
If you do go close the lid can you then choose 1080p?

I'm using a Griffin mini-HDMI adapter to the TV, which works, but I'm just not getting the resolution I want.

When I tried making a custom resolution of 1920x1080 in Switchresx, I rebooted and it just said that it was invalid for some reason and wouldn't add it to my master list. I didn't get very far after that and didn't know how to fix it. Some people were talking about altering something called an EDID file, but I think that's beyond the scope of my knowledge.

Don't think I can choose it in clamshell mode

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
There's no mini HDMI on your MacBook. Mini-displayport to HDMI perhaps?

This one? Griffin Mini DisplayPort to HDMI with Audio + DVI - Apple Store (U.S.)

If it doesn't work in Clamshell mode either then it's either the cable (though the one linked above suggests it supports in excess of 1080) or it's the TV not communicating it's capabilities correctly or a combination of both.

The TV isn't 'advertising' that it supports the requested resolution so the Mac is refusing to send what it believes is an incompatible resolution.

I'd suggest trying a different cable or contacting SwitchResX support to find if there's a way to force a resolution.

Anecdotally, a quick Google-around suggest that several people have issue with the belkin adaptor causing issues with resolution detecting etc. But that is purely from a search and skim. I've no personal experience with that particular adaptor. All mine are Apple cables.

OP
S
Reaction score
yea that's the griffin adapter I have, you think an apple one could solve the problem?

just emailed switchrex and and they said if the mac doesn't offer the resolution there's no way to force it :(

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
The Griffin adapter should be OK. There's nothing particularly magic about using an Apple adapter except that in most cases they're more expensive. Just my opinion by the way...

As to the resolution problem: I don't believe you can achieve the resolution you desire without using clamshell and mirror mode. However, one of our Staff members (bobtomay) is our resident expert with these things. If he reads this thread, he may have a solution for you. So please stand by.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
I would agree that the Griffin adapter should be ok.

I have not had to play with adjusting 2:3 pulldown &/or refresh rates that much.

Have seen DisplayConfigX & SwitchResX be able to force these.
Your particular issue, especially being able to get 720p 60 to play sounds like it could be a cable issue - usually caused by too long a run of the HDMI cable, but can be an issue of some cheap cables also - especially if the cable is not rated as "high speed". Here's one thread where changing out just a 1.5m cable solved the problem.

OP
S
Reaction score
I would agree that the Griffin adapter should be ok.

I have not had to play with adjusting 2:3 pulldown &/or refresh rates that much.

Have seen DisplayConfigX & SwitchResX be able to force these.
Your particular issue, especially being able to get 720p 60 to play sounds like it could be a cable issue - usually caused by too long a run of the HDMI cable, but can be an issue of some cheap cables also - especially if the cable is not rated as "high speed". Here's one thread where changing out just a 1.5m cable solved the problem.

I'm grateful for your advice, this forum is exceptionally friendly :)

At this point I'm willing to try a better cable, but if it doesn't work I suppose I'll just have to deal.

Would anyone be kind enough to point me in the direction, maybe an amazon link, to one of these short, high speed HDMI cables? Thanks again

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
I've had good success with the Amazon Basics line of cables and normally recommend those - for what you're having an issue with, I might spend a little extra and try this Belkin cable - advertised it will support up to 120hz.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Checking Griffin's site - they do not list the refresh rate capability of their adapter.

Kanex lists theirs at a max of 1080p 60hz.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.