How to approach digitizing paper design?

Reaction score
Hi,

I bought an experimental airplane but the drawings and updates have been and remain paper based . . . from 1980-1996! Fortunately, I have two sets of the drawing, all of the newsletters, and a flight-worthy airframe, N19WT. But I want to upgrade this 33 year old design and want to "do the job right."

What I want to do is digitize the paper blueprints and photos (N19WT has some smart mods) and use these to do:
  • proper stress analysis
  • evaluate modifications
Now in the 'old days,' I would get a copy of MacDraw; import 'pic' version of digitized images, and; trace in Draw the vector equivlant. Granted, MacDraw was just a 2D package, it is not that hard to transcribe into usable engineering metrics to do a credible stress analysis.

Well it has been a while since MacDraw was available and sad to say, I got snookered by "TurboCad". I've seen suggestions for:
  • Draftsight
  • Solidworks
  • CADintosh
  • Sketchup --- Google???
I am not afraid of spending the right amount of money for the right tool but I only paid $4,500 for my airplane. I am cheap enough and able to deal with scanned bitmaps but I really want something with the ability to generate:
  • exportable tables - for parts lists, materials, and stress/strain tables
  • machine readable, robot 'Gerber' or equivalent CAM inputs (the ability to 3d mill a mould)
Yes, I know the Windows world probably has a bunch of lame software that does this but I would perfer to stay in the Mac OS native world . . . if available. It is based upon my earliest impressions of MacDraw that combined both image and vector capabilities (no tables at that time.)

Thanks,
Bob Wilson

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.