Why can't I get any audio when I use my TV as a monitor?

Reaction score
I have an old model (2010) Macbook Pro...the kind that only transfers video but not audio through the hdmi cable.

I have this tv:

Samsung UN55EH6030 55 Class LED 3D HDTV - 1080p, 1920 x 1080, 120Hz, 5000000:1 Dynamic, Clear Motion Rate 240, HDMI, USB, Internet Ready, 2x 3D Glasses Included, Energy Star at TigerDirect.com

With these terminals:

Inputs
Composite
Component In
HDMI
RF Input
Ethernet (LAN)
DVI Audio In
Outputs
Optical Digital Audio
Audio Output
HDMI Ports 2

So I can get video with a mini-dvi to hdmi adaptor and hdmi cable, but I can't get sound.

I didn't know what "in" and "out" meant when it came to terminals ( complete newbie at this!) so I tried an audio cable, an optical digital audio cable and a RCA Audio cable. The audio and optical digital audio didn't work becuse they're output terminals, but neither did the RCA Audio in!

Am I doing something wrong? Is there no way to get sound from my Macbook Pro to this tv???

Any suggestions?

Thank you!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.8 GHz i7 MBA 11" OSX 10.8.2
OP
T
Reaction score
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.8 GHz i7 MBA 11" OSX 10.8.2
Sorry - my bad - it should have been mini on one side
HDMI Cable, Home Theater Accessories, HDMI Products, Cables, Adapters, Video/Audio Switch, Networking, USB, Firewire, Printer Toner, and more!
Mac Help - How to Connect your Macbook Via Optical to an optical audio system (Logitech Z-5500) - YouTube

But RCA should have worked too.

There is actually a whole sticky dedicated to doing this
http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/other-hardware-peripherals/193239-connecting-your-mac-your-tv.html

What are your settings for output on your MBP - and what are your settings for input on your Samsung? Generally you have to tell the TV that you want an Audio input matched with a video input but each TV/Manufacturer is different so I wouldn't know specifically for your TV what to do.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
edit - moved this to the top:
First, if your MBP is an early 2010 model - introduced in April - it does indeed support audio out via the mini displayport. If this is the case - you merely need to head into the Sound preferences on your MBP and select the Samsung for your output - it's only going to show there while connected and turned on.

If it's an '09 model - sold thru April 20190 - then head to below.

Look closer at the HDMI ports on your TV - one of them will have "DVI" marked on it - usually HDMI 1.
You must use the HDMI port that is marked DVI in order to get a separate sound input to work.

You must also use the audio port labeled as "DVI audio in" - that is the only input that will work with the HDMI port you found above.

All of the Samsungs I have seen use a stereo 3.5mm mini-plug for this - the same as the plug on your Mac.
So you would need a stereo 3.5mm mini-plug - at both ends.

All the RCA audio inputs are reserved for component, S-Video and composite inputs.

Optical on all TVs I've seen is limited to output - no input for optical on any TV I've seen yet - no point - no 5.1 surround coming out of the TV speakers.

Some Samsungs will work automatically once you have both cables hooked up correctly.
Some of them are going to require that you go into the menu and edit the device name.
For example, if yours DVI input is HDMI 1 - you would go into the HDMI 1 and rename it to DVI PC or something of that nature. It will have the selection in the menu.

input = you are bringing a signal from somewhere else that you want to play on this device
output = you are sending a signal out of the device to be played somewhere else

as in:

MBP output because the video is here and you want to "output" it to another device
TV input because you are bringing a signal into it that originated on your MBP, DVD Player, Cable box, etc.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.