• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

T-Mobile USA iPhone coming in three to four months

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
A bit optimistic according the T-Mobile folks at their stores. It's more like sometime in the next 6 months. However, this comes from their CEO so must be credible. T-Mobile has to invoke new frequencies to be compatible with the GSM version of the iPhone.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5
A bit optimistic according the T-Mobile folks at their stores. It's more like sometime in the next 6 months. However, this comes from their CEO so must be credible. T-Mobile has to invoke new frequencies to be compatible with the GSM version of the iPhone.

The iPhone 5 (with T-Mo SIM) is already receiving 3G service here in NYC. The LTE bands have yet to roll out, but I suspect that is what Apple is waiting for. As a matter of fact, T-Mo's service here is pretty darned spectacular, and beats out AT&T by a long shot. I've seen unlocked Verizon iPhone 5's with Tmobile SIM's in them getting a ping of 3ms on cellular! Dl speeds are very comparable with AT&T's and that's when in range of an AT&T amplifier.

Selfishly, I hope that the iPhone never goes to T-Mobile. I've been on their network now for the past month and a half, and I've been a lot more than pleasantly surprised by their overall network performance here in NYC. This used to be quite the opposite case, in fact.

I have an HSPA+ equipped phone that consistently gets download speeds between 15-19 Mbps and up of about 2.5 Mbps. And that's just HSPA 21... When they roll out LTE (which my phone is capable of utilizing) that will double.

Plus, I've never experienced better voice quality than now, and I've been with every single major network here. Having iPhone users hog up the bandwidth isn't something I'm looking forward to. Especially since I'm only paying $30 a month for unlimited data! Of course that unlimited service comes with a downside.. 100 minutes of talk time, but I'm able to circumvent that by using Vonage mobile as well as Google Voice.

What ever T-Mo is doing right now, they're doing it right. I can only hope they keep investing more into their infrastructure.

Doug

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I've been a T-Mobile customer here in DFW for around 6 years. Great service in the Metro areas but a bit spotty between Dallas and the other large cities. I'll probably get iPhones for my wife and I whenever T-Mobile and Apple are ready to deploy them.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
The opposite appears to be true in Southern Cali. People I know who have TMo complain that when they go inside of a building, any building, they pretty much have no service. My oldest daughter and my in-laws were down for the hoilidays and none of them had any service inside of my house even, and I'm within sight of a cell tower that all 4 big services use. At this point I wouldn't touch TMo with a 10 food pole.

On a side note my brother in-law who is a TMo network engineer did say that they had signed an agreement with AT&T to share frequency bands across both companies.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Nothing new about T-Mobile sharing cell towers with AT&T. They've been doing it for years. Whenever we travel to remote areas of Texas we pick up AT&T instead of T-Mobile. I inquired of T-Mobile because I was afraid I would be charged for roaming, but they stated it was OK because they had an agreement with AT&T.

As for signal reception, it's great here in the DFW area metroplex, inside of buildings or otherwise.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Nothing new about T-Mobile sharing cell towers with AT&T. They've been doing it for years. Whenever we travel to remote areas of Texas we pick up AT&T instead of T-Mobile. I inquired of T-Mobile because I was afraid I would be charged for roaming, but they stated it was OK because they had an agreement with AT&T.

As for signal reception, it's great here in the DFW area metroplex, inside of buildings or otherwise.

Let me clarify. The bands I was speaking of are for 3G, 4G and LTE. Right now in SoCal an iPhone will only get EDGE on TMo since the 3G bands and above are not compatable.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yes, that's correct. Using an unlocked iPhone with T-Mobile means EDGE only, at least for right now. The T-Mobile phones (not smart phones) my wife and I have are able to receive 3G but are not 4G LTE capable. My Verizon iPad 3 is LTE capable and for the most part, picks up a strong signal most everywhere we go.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yes, that's correct.

I know it's correct. That's why I stated it.

Using an unlocked iPhone with T-Mobile means EDGE only, at least for right now. .

As I stated above, that will be changing as my brother in law told me. Supposedly it'll be 4-6 months out.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5
Unlocked iPhone 5's do better than EDGE in some cities. NYC in particular. They rolled out the bands in several large cities, and 3G is up and running, though unofficially supported.

Doug

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 27" iMac, Retina 5K, 3.6 GHz, 64 GB Memory, 2 TB storage
The opposite appears to be true in Southern Cali. People I know who have TMo complain that when they go inside of a building, any building, they pretty much have no service. My oldest daughter and my in-laws were down for the hoilidays and none of them had any service inside of my house even, and I'm within sight of a cell tower that all 4 big services use. At this point I wouldn't touch TMo with a 10 food pole.

On a side note my brother in-law who is a TMo network engineer did say that they had signed an agreement with AT&T to share frequency bands across both companies.

Ironic since T'Mobile's CEO called ATT's network crap. :Mischievous:

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I never pay attention to what the competition says about each other. For example, if you believe all the propaganda put out by Verizon and AT&T as to whose network has more 4G, I have a bridge in San Francisco I'd like to sell you. ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.8 GHz i7 MBA 11" OSX 10.8.2
I never pay attention to what the competition says about each other. For example, if you believe all the propaganda put out by Verizon and AT&T as to whose network has more 4G, I have a bridge in San Francisco I'd like to sell you. ;)

First you have to believe that HSPA+ is 4G - then AT&T has the largest 4G network. The best way to put it is with a story. My friend had the iPhone - one day it said AT&T 3G. The next morning it said AT&T 4G on the status bar. It wasn't any faster - the name just changed. (Thank T-Mobile for that marketing mess)

Second - as long as you are in a 4G LTE location - AT&T does show faster speeds over Verizon. Hence - the fastet 4G LTE network.

Verizon does claim it has the largest 4G LTE network - but to the average consumer - what is the difference between 4G and 4G LTE? Actually not a whole lot anyway as HSPA+ can reach decent speeds. LTE has potential for much faster speeds but people don't pay attention to that. They run speedtest and see what they get.

Too much jargon - but I think that is what marketers like - to dazzle you with BS.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.