Water problem...maybe?

Reaction score
My daughter dropped her iPhone 5 in the slush yesterday, picked it up immediately and wiped it dry.

It worked fine the rest of the day and she sent her last text at around 10pm last night before she went to bed. Plugged phone in to charge and it is dead this morning. Will not start up.

Is it possibly a delayed effect from the water? Seems like if it worked for 10 hours after the incident that it would be fine? Any thoughts?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Is it possibly a delayed effect from the water? Seems like if it worked for 10 hours after the incident that it would be fine? Any thoughts?

Hard to say. I know we had someone post a while back...who dropped their iPhone 4 in the toilet like 5 times...and the 5th time is when the iPhone 4 finally hollered "ENOUGH" and stopped working!

I know that there are some design differences between the iPhone 4 and the iPhone 5...but it seems that iPhones are pretty resilient when it comes to these accidents (slush would seem a lot less severe then 4-5x in the toilet)!;)

- Nick

C

chas_m

If water got INTO the phone, then over time that could cause it to stop working. A friend of mine dropped his iPod touch into a gutter full of rainwater, the screen shattered but amazingly it still worked! However, over the following weeks it started misbehaving more and more until finally it was useless.

Your best bet at saving it is to submerge the phone into a bag of rice for a few days, then see if it will work again. If not, I'm inclined to say it is toast.

OP
BCRose
Reaction score
YAY! After two days in rice it magically returned to life. Amazing! Fingers crossed that it continues to live a long and prosperous life!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.