Save installers to a separate folder?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2020 M1 MB Air
As some installers need to be saved for uninstalling purposes I've created an installers folder in the root of my drive. And if the installer is for a paid-for program (with a product key) I make a text file with the product key in it and put that in the same folder.
Is this the normal way to do it or do you just leave them in downloads? They look a bit dodgy left there to me :D

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
As some installers need to be saved for uninstalling purposes I've created an installers folder in the root of my drive.
This is a practice you should stop. The filesystem is designed in such a way that the only place you should be managing directly is your user directly. Unlike Windows, where for all intents and purposes "anything goes", Unix based OSes (which OS X is) are much more structured when it comes to file organization. The root of the drive is not meant to be a place to drop off files and folders. This is why Finder prompts you for a password when you try to write to that directory.

Is this the normal way to do it or do you just leave them in downloads? They look a bit dodgy left there to me :D
There's no right way to do this - do what works for you (as long as it's in your user directory or on an external drive).

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
For any of them I want to keep did the same - except I'd recommend you keep them in your home folder instead of at the root.
edit- looks like van beat me to it.

Nowadays I store all my software keys in 1Password.

OP
MacDuck
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2020 M1 MB Air
Thanks for the clarification vansmith. Maybe it's not in the root - not sure.
I placed the folder on the first screen that opens up when the Macintosh HD option is clicked on. Is that the root or not?
It's not a problem as I will move it if necessary. Just not sure!

OP
MacDuck
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2020 M1 MB Air
From memory it did ask me for a password when creating the folder, so it must be the root.
No problem, I've copied the folder to my user's home folder and deleted the original.
Everything's hunky dory now ;D

Thanks vansmith and bobtomay :Blushing:

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
"Macintosh HD" is indeed the root directory (the equivalent of "C:\" on most Windows machines).

Think of it this way - your user folder is your little playground and the rest of the filesystem is the fenced off part of the playground. ;)

Think of it this way - if Finder asks for a password, it's doing so for a reason. If it asks, you should be asking the same question.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
As some installers need to be saved for uninstalling purposes I've created an installers folder in the root of my drive. And if the installer is for a paid-for program (with a product key) I make a text file with the product key in it and put that in the same folder.

Another idea...which would:

- eliminate the possibility of moving/saving these installers in the incorrect folder/directory
- not take up unecessary space on the computers internal hard drive

...would be to save/archive these installers on an external "data" hard drive.

- Nick

OP
MacDuck
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2020 M1 MB Air
Thanks Nick, that would work too! I could partition my Tardis TM backup drive and put them there. It's something to think about if disc space becomes a problem but in all honesty I don't think I'll have all that many installers to worry about. I'll see how things go! Installing things may become a madness! :)

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Thanks Nick, that would work too! I could partition my Tardis TM backup drive and put them there. It's something to think about if disc space becomes a problem but in all honesty I don't think I'll have all that many installers to worry about. I'll see how things go! Installing things may become a madness! :)

I see a lot of folks posting on Mac-Forums with hard drive space issues...and one way to "preserve" hard disk space for more important things (or at least for things that are used on a more daily/weekly basis)...is to not save installers on the "main" internal HD.

I didn't know what your HD situation was like...but it sounds like you have things under control...so this probably doesn't apply to you.:) Another idea instead of an external HD to save things...is to "burn" them onto a rewritable CD or DVD. Or even save them on a USB stick.

- Nick

OP
MacDuck
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2020 M1 MB Air
vansmith the folder is now in my little playground ;D

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.