• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

would like to start working with video - can I with this mac?

Reaction score
I used to be on a mac at my job, but was switched to a PC - now I'd like to start some new projects using Premiere and it seems my 32-bit OS isn't up for it - and upgrading (so I'm told) would be a fortune - sooooo

I'd like to propose the idea of revisiting Macs to my company, but don't want to order a machine that won't be up for the task (60 second stuff, not feature films)

can anybody tell me if this Mac would fit the bill to get the foot back in the door?

Buy.com - Apple Mac mini MC815LL/A Desktop Computer - Intel Core i5 2.30 GHz

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I used to be on a mac at my job, but was switched to a PC - now I'd like to start some new projects using Premiere and it seems my 32-bit OS isn't up for it - and upgrading (so I'm told) would be a fortune - sooooo

I'd like to propose the idea of revisiting Macs to my company, but don't want to order a machine that won't be up for the task (60 second stuff, not feature films)

can anybody tell me if this Mac would fit the bill to get the foot back in the door?

This may not directly answer your question...but what I would recommend is NOT buying the Mac-Mini that was linked from Buy.com.

This computer is basically "last year's model" so to speak...and at $555 is no deal! You can buy the most current Mac-Mini model for $599 directly from Apple...and it will have:

- a faster cpu
- better video graphics
- twice the installed ram

http://store.apple.com/us/browse/home/shop_mac/family/mac_mini

All of this is WELL WORTH the extra $44 bucks!:)

- Nick

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Or click the link to B&H Photo right there on that same page and get the current model brand new for only an additional $9.80.

That reconditioned one probably has 10.7 on it, so it'll cost ya $20 just to upgrade the OS as soon as you get it.

OP
fstjohn
Reaction score
how about that?! :)

not only that, I can now ask the "seller" directly if I can run Premiere and After Effects!

thanks a million (dunno how I didnt see that on Apple's site before!)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.