Slow Mini Mac

Reaction score
I have a late 2012 Mini Mac made the switch from Vista really like it But getting concerned . Seems the past week it has started to run very slow It seems to stall when trying to close some folders/apps I can keep clicking on them and after a short while it will close or i have to use the Force close feature I m getting concerned because I have only had it about 1 1/2 months I have not loaded any programs or apps on it still set up the way it was out of the box new So not sure if their is a de frag or clean up thing I should do Any suggestions would be helpful
Thank You

C

chas_m

Is the hard drive close to being full?

How much RAM is included on your machine?

Do you tend to leave a large number of programs open all the time?

Generally speaking, you don't need to "defrag" or anything like that -- this ain't Windows. There isn't anything I can think of offhand that should be causing a slowdown after six weeks, but your answers to the questions above may provide a clue

OP
D
Reaction score
Its a Mac Mini with 2 GB RAM on Lion OS no I do not keep many programs open maybe just mail, and safari or Fire fox That should not slow it down .It was fine earlier nothing has been added to it
Dan

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
mid-2010 Mac Mini OS 10.12.6 Sierra, 2.66 GHz C2D, 8GB RAM, 30 in. Cinema Display
I would find out the maximum RAM it can handle and then max out the RAM with matching sticks. Just having the computer ON and running Safari probably uses just a little less than your 2 GB.

M

MacInWin

Are you closing programs or just using the red X to minimize them? If the latter, then they are still in memory, still running, just pushed into the background. But they take memory and CPU cycles there. In OSX, to close a program use the menu, or whatever mechanism is built into the application to close and stop it running.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
I've had both, Safari and Firefox, each using >2 GB of RAM in my MBA - which represents all of the free memory available after boot up.

OP
D
Reaction score
I really do not think Safari would drain 2GB RAM on its own? Also note the fact the Mini WAS working Great!! up until a week ago My Ipad works better

OP
D
Reaction score
Not sure how to ck if the hard drive is full but no new programs

It's 2gb stock never opened

Usually one or two programs opened at a time

Reaction score
I have a mac mini 2011....

My Mac Mini......When I bought it new it came with 4GB (2 x 2 1333 sticks)

Mac Mall sold me 2 4 x 4 1067 sticks. They worked fine. But when recently I had a problem, I tried Internet Recovery and it wouldn't work.

After replacing the hard drive and the logic board the Apple tech had an inspiration. He called me and asked me whether I still has those original 1333 sticks. I did and brought them to him.

He istalled them and did the internet recovery. All fixed. I called Mac Mall (or Amazon) and they sent me the correct 1333 4Gig sticks, no charge, and now all is well.

I think those internet recovery programs expect to see original equipment. When they don't then it's off to Oz......

2GB memory is too little for today's apps wonderland. Install as much memory as you can afford but......

Make sure it's what YOUR machine calls for.

Reaction score
But, but, but....

When I gave the Apple tech my original 1333 sticks he was able to complete the internet recovery, after replacing the hard drive.

It was under Applecare, still is, and matter of fact, when I got home I put two new 4x4Gig memory sticks 1333 to get back to my 8Gig total memory.

Amazon or MacMall gave me credit for the "wrong" 1067 sticks they had originally sent me with my new Mac Mini.

They worked fine for a couple of years until something went wrong requiring internet recovery.

That's when the Techie called me and asked if I had the original 2x 1333 sticks.

I did, and the rest is history.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
>About This Mac > More Info > Storage Then post size and space available.
This will tell us how much free space you have on your hard drive.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.