Advice Needed...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Apple MacBook Pro (13-Inch Model, 'Retina')
My employer has very kindly offered to replace my current computer system (a good, custom-built PC) with a new Apple iMac (27-inch model).

My day-to-day work includes a lot of graphic design with applications such as Adobe Dreamweaver CS6, Adobe Illustrator CS6, Adobe InDesign CS6, and Adobe Photoshop CS6 Extended (at a minimum) all operating at once. It also includes a lot of very complex spreadsheet/workbook editing. With these requirements in mind, I'm hoping to get some advice as to whether the following specifications would be suitable:

Apple iMac (27-inch model)
  • 3.4GHz Quad-core Intel Core i7, Turbo Boost up to 3.9GHz
  • 16GB 1600MHz DDR3 SDRAM - 2X8GB
  • 3TB Fusion Drive
  • NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680MX 2GB GDDR5
  • Apple Magic Mouse + Magic Trackpad

I'm also curious as to whether anyone believes that the upgrade from the 3TB Fusion Drive to the 768GB Flash Storage for an extra $1,080 is worth it.

Any advice at all would be greatly appreciated!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac (Mid 2011), 3.4GHz Intel Core i7, 16GB RAM, 2GB Video Card, 2TB HDD
Those iMac specs would be just fine. The core i7 is a workhorse of a CPU, 16GB is a lot of RAM - more than enough too keep all of those programs running smooth, and the NVidia graphics card is currently top of the line for iMacs (is scores quite well on benchmark tests too). That computer should be able to run Creative Suite for many years to come.

I would keep the Fusion drive. They get almost the same performance of a SSD but you get a lot more space and for less money. The extra $1,080 is not worth it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.