Parallels Migration License Questions

Reaction score
So I'm in a small mess of a situation..

I have a MacBook Pro, and recently purchased Parallels 8 since there are two programs at work that refuse to work for a Mac.

Problem is one program is only for WIndows XP, and the other is for Windows 7/8.

I'm pretty sure making multiple virtual machines for each operating system won't be a problem. I have a licensed XP Disc and that installed fine.

My primary questions is regarding Windows 7/8...

I don't have a Windows 7 CD to do an install, but have a desktop with Windows 7 installed on it. HOWEVER I don't have the license number for that copy of Windows.

Should/Can I simply migrate that computer over to the Mac? Or will it ask me for a license number? I also do not have any experience with the migration so I don't completely understand how that works, I am going to start reading around about that now, but wanted to begin the thread and see if I could save some time.

Thanks for all your help, as always.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
One license per machine, and since MS has activation in force you won't be able to migrate that copy of Windows 7 or 8. You need to purchase another copy of Windows 7 or 8 - and it has to be a full install version.

OP
K
Reaction score
Thanks for the response....

I'm a little confused. What's the purpose of "migrating" if you simply have to purchase another license and install...that doesn't sound like migrating at all, just sounds like installing a new version of Windows.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Migrating Windows applications and data to Mac OS X is not the same as migrating an entire operating system for use in Parallels. The Windows Migration Assistant is a free download from the Apple servers: LINK. However, when installing Parallels or Fusion to create a virtual machine for Windows, you're expected to use a full install licensed version of Windows. Whether it be from a virtual machine or a dual boot using Boot Camp, Windows activation is required.

OP
K
Reaction score
Now THAT makes total sense. Guess I'm off to buy a new copy of Windows...bummer.

Thanks for your help. Cleared everything up.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.