iwork pages or MS office for college essays?

Reaction score
been thinking of getting this or MS office. Which do y'all recommend - I hear iwork is office compatible.

One thing I really like about MS office is the grammar correction is very good, i tried open office before and it didn't catch nearly the same amount of grammar problems, which is very useful for college essays.

Is iWork good at grammar correction? And by that I mean detecting sentence fragments, and when sentences aren't proper, like "I eat the good hotdog".

Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
g4 ibook 1.2/512 leopard, 2007 MacBook 2.0 c2d lion, 20" imac 1.8 cd , 2010 mac mini
I use iwork '09 and so far am very happy with it. I try to stay far away from anything microsoft produces.

Reaction score
If you print it, it likely doesn't matter much unless iWork lacks some function you want.

If you are sending the file to your instructor, you will absolutely want to use MS Office.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
I try to stay far away from anything microsoft produces.
Why? Microsoft makes some solid products.

Sento, if compatibility is of any concern, go with Office. While iWork can work with Office documents, it's not Office so it's very possible that an iWork app will render Office documents incorrectly (this goes for any "non-official" app including OpenOffice).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
For college essays and online submissions get the best ~ Office 2011. Some lecturers may even refuse to accept work not in Word.

Microsoft were developing Office for Mac before they started on the PC versions. Back in the late nineties Apple may not have even survived without Microsoft and Bill Gates' support.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
While iWork applications are very good, the simple fact is that MS Office is the de facto standard for business and education. Go with Office.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.