Just got power mac need help

Reaction score
Ok I just got my power Mac and I have a lot of question before put it together. I want the transition from PC to Mac to go smoothly and would like suggestions. What I want to do is to do video editing with Final Cut Pro transfer my e-mail, Microsoft Office outlook or outlook express address book, and all of My Documents files to the Mac. I have a few questions.

1.How or what software or hardware can I use to transfer my address book, my web favorites, and My Document files?

2.On the Mac what is the best way to do backups? Backup software if so what do you suggests? Should I look into .Mac? I am going to be using an external hard drive fire wire. How well 800 fire wire works?

I will be using and external serial raid Hard Drive for my video files. I also will be purchasing Microsoft office for Mac.

3. Firefox or Safari RSS for Web Browse?

4. Outlook or Mail or other to handle e-mail?

5. IPhoto or Photo shop Elements?

6. How much memory to add? I was thinking 2gig.

7. I do not have the super drive is there a upgrade for the Mac?

I would appreciate any other suggestion or recomendations.
:dummy:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Powerbook G4/ 15.2"/ 1.67 ghz/ 2 gb RAM/ ATI Mobility Radeon 9700 (128 mb RAM)/ 100 gb hdd@ 5400 RPM
2) Firewire 800 is nice to have, but if you're paying extra specifically for it, I reall wouldn't say it's that worthwhile.

3) Safari is a great browser. Granted, you don't get the customization of FireFox, it serves me well.

4) Many complain about Mail not having some of the features of Outlook, you'll have to just try them out and see what works.

5) Eh, iPhoto is good for basic cropping and whatnot, but Elements does have a few features on it.

6) What kind of PowerMac and what OS are you running?

7) Same as 6.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
1) Move2Mac.

4) MS Office comes with Entourage, a semi-Outlook like App for the Mac. I always liked it better than Outlook.

5) Both

6) 2Gb

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid
5. For real editing iPhoto isn't there. The Mac is on the previous version of Elements and Adobe apparently is working on the newer version. Likely they are trying to code a Universal binary and that has caused a slip in release date, which they are being secretive about.

6. I've got 1.25GB of ram on a Dual MDD 867Mhz machine and haven't noticed it maxing out during video editing with FCP 3. I just opened my biggest project and have about 900MB free. But I'm just a home amature. You can use Activity Monitor in the Utilities directory to see how the memory is being used.

7. On the Apple store it says that Mac comes with the super drive. If for some odd reason it didn't, most people buy a Pioneer DVD writer and swap it with what is in the box. You'll have to do a little research on this, but I doubt you'll have a problem. You just have to remove the little plastic face plate connected to the eject tray. I've done that twice on my box.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
kmaultsby said:
Power Mac G5 2.3gHz duel OS X.4

The Dual Core G5 2.3Ghz? They claim to ship with a superdrive. Dual Layer DVD Support. Are you sure yours does not have a Superdrive?

T

topshot

1.How or what software or hardware can I use to transfer my address book, my web favorites, and My Document files?

Really 3 questions in 1.
For internet favorites, you can usually export internet favorites from internet browsers. This creates a single file that you can then import into other browsers such as Safari and Firefox.
For address book, it depends where you have stored them but your safest best is to do an export again and import at the other end. You might be limited to having to export each contact as a .VCF file and then importing each one in again. If you use outlook, you can export contacts as a text file.
To copy your documents over, you can do a straight copy, but you can also use a program called Move2Mac. This might help you transfer files and settings but it won't do everything for you. As for email, this can be a bit hit and miss depending on the program you used. Microsoft doesn't make it easy and they don't even provide compatibiltiy between some outlook programs.

2.On the Mac what is the best way to do backups? Backup software if so what do you suggests? Should I look into .Mac? I am going to be using an external hard drive fire wire. How well 800 fire wire works?

Since you are thinking of doing video, everyone who is in video production will tell you that storing your files should be done on an external firewire 800 drive to be really effective. As for backup, their are some excellent backup solutions such as onetouch backup where you just press a button and it backs up. I use .mac to backup my preferences and to access my internet favorites/address book/email(even pop mail) and to share photos. It's no good for large backups though because you can only go to 2GB of storage.

I will be using and external serial raid Hard Drive for my video files. I also will be purchasing Microsoft office for Mac.

Is this a question? You can't do without office really. Their are other solutions but non are going to do it as well as Word and Excel. Office also comes with Entourage which is the Mac version of Outlook. It is very good and has lots of features, but Mail that comes with Mac OS X is quicker and has a smaller footprint. I also found that Entourage tended to slow my computer down with it's DB server in the background and also didn't work with spotlight.

3. Firefox or Safari RSS for Web Browse?

All these apps will take you a while to get used to and it might be easier for you to go straight with Entourage and Firefox as they will probably feel more familiar. But the OS versions of Mail and Safari are quicker and generally function in a more mac way, such as drag and drop, keyboard shortcuts, information display etc... Also, some websites refuse to work with Safari and so a quick opening of Firefox is sometimes necessary. Always keep firefox handy in these cases.

4. Outlook or Mail or other to handle e-mail?
Recently moved over to Mail myself after using Entourage for about 9 months. They both have their + and - points. Remember as a tip, if you use Mail, set in preferences to 'allways send windows friendly attachments'.

5. IPhoto or Photo shop Elements?

Depends what you want to do. iPhoto is great for most peoples picture needs. My camera is great so I hardly ever need to touch up pics and the iPhoto picture editting does the job for me all in one place. Photo shop elements is meant to have more features if that is what you need for your editing.

6. How much memory to add? I was thinking 2gig.
For video editing, add what you can afford. For Hi-Def and for transition effects etc... you want as much as you can get. Most people say min 1.5GB for video so 2GB is a great start.

7. I do not have the super drive is there a upgrade for the Mac?

Yep. If you are using a powermac laptop, you should get an upgrade by Apple or other authorised dealer. Check their website for drives that you can get. Ofcourse you could go the cheaper option and get an external drive.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.