• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

Consumer Reports ranks iPhone 5 below several Android phones

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.8 GHz i7 MBA 11" OSX 10.8.2
It'll be interesting to see the reasoning.

One thing I've noticed is that screens are getting bigger but resolution is staying the same 720p (I know there are some 1080p devices out there now - but they are just coming out) It reminds me of the same problem with computer monitors. Everyone is putting out 24" or 27" monitors but they are all 1080p - My old 24" was 1920x1200 - so even though monitors have gotten bigger - the resolution/pixel density has gone down.

I also question a review that has Verizon's One and Two phone - being the Razr Maxx and Razr HD - where it is the same phone - except the Razr Maxx has a larger battery (is slightly thicker) and more memory.
Droid RAZR HD and RAZR MAXX HD review

Also note that it is a 2 point spread between the top and bottom - so I wouldn't call that killing the iPhone.

Anyway - If Samsung comes up with a 1080p Note 3 - that would certainly turn my head.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Must be distressing the dashed things sell so well!

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Also note that it is a 2 point spread between the top and bottom - so I wouldn't call that killing the iPhone.
Herein lies the essence of any review - all "results" are subjective. This review says little about how I or anyone uses or enjoys a phone just as a review noting that the "iPhone is the best phone ever!" says little in terms of personal experience. This is not to say that reviews are useless but that they should always be read in light of every other review and personal preference. In other words, it's always important to note that this two point "lead" is someone's opinion and, as you rightly note, certainly doesn't imply that the iPhone is a bad mobile device.

Must be distressing the dashed things sell so well!
So do a lot of phones. Sales figures don't say anything about quality. For instance, BlackBerries still sell well (at least here in Canada) and I'm not sure I'd be putting them on this list. If sales figures did matter, you'd have the Galaxy S3 at the top and the iPhone in second spot.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
Aren't these the same folks who rated the iPhone 4 a "don't buy" a year or so back? Does anyone care what CR says anymore? They lost their objectivity, and usefulness, a long time ago IMO.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
They lost their objectivity, and usefulness, a long time ago IMO.
So has everyone else. I'm not sure how the lack of objectivity here differs from any other reviewer.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookAir5,2:10.13.6-iMac18,3:10.13.6-iPhone9,3:11.4.1
CR is really hit and miss when they rate stuff in my opinion. I often find that the perspective of their writers is nowhere close to my own on the intangibles that ultimately steer my decision one way or the other. I remember looking at a new SUV back in 2008 and they put one at the top of the pack based on various luxury features, cup holders and ride quality. This particular SUV sucked at being an actual SUV (couldn't tow much, no true 4 wheel drive or low range, little rear cargo space, not even a limited slip differential) but excelled at being a "car with a lift kit". It's perspective I guess, and from theirs it was the "best". I use CR for some things like dishwashers and vacuum cleaners, but that about it.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I remember looking at a new SUV back in 2008 and they put one at the top of the pack based on various luxury features, cup holders and ride quality.
...cup holders? Please tell me that's a joke (oh please!).

Sales figures don't say anything about quality. For instance, BlackBerries still sell well (at least here in Canada) and I'm not sure I'd be putting them on this list. If sales figures did matter, you'd have the Galaxy S3 at the top and the iPhone in second spot.

Remember, usage numbers doesn't equal best. If that were the case, Windows would be the best operating system beyond a shadow of a doubt and the best car in the world would be the Toyota Corolla. Thus, just because the iPhone was the most popular device for a 12 week period does not make it an obviously better choice. The same goes for Android - just because it has a considerably larger share of the market doesn't make it a better platform.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookAir5,2:10.13.6-iMac18,3:10.13.6-iPhone9,3:11.4.1
...cup holders? Please tell me that's a joke (oh please.

Nope. True story. I think it was the RAV4 or CRV or something that won - been awhile. They specifically called out the cup holders (and a few other things like auxiliary power connection points) as giving it an "edge" over the Jeep Wrangler and other SUV's. Cups holders... and a no low-range 4x4 system... give the RAV4 an "edge" over a Jeep... in a 4x4 utility vehicle category... What a world!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
I lost faith in CR on their audio video choices since that has been part of my living and hobby for as long as I can remember it made me wonder who was doing the actual testing and compared to what.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.