Need Hard-Shell Case Help!

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
As most or some folks know...Apple has discontinued the 17" MBP models. I could really use some help finding a hard shell case for my 2011 Unibody 17" MacBook Pro. It seems that since the 17" MBP has been discontinued...the supply of these things has REALLY dried up!:(

I've searched the internet (e-Bay, Amazon, and various online vendors) for 17" MBP hard shell cases...and pretty much the only thing I could find were the clear hard shell cases from SPECK. Which is ok...but I would prefer to go with something else...or at least a SPECK case with a little color. It would be nice to keep it under $50 (which is about the retail price for these things anyway).

If anyone spots something...please let me know! :)

Thanks,

- Nick

p.s. Used/pre-owned is ok...as long as it's in good shape.:)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.8 GHz i7 MBA 11" OSX 10.8.2
OP
pigoo3

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yes...that's what I've been seeing. Not many good deals out there...and if something is found (even used)...it's close to the full retail price. But like you said..."Whataya going to do!";)

Believe it or not...my 2011 17" MBP hasn't even left my desktop since I got it in August (it hasn't even been on my lap on the couch while watching TV)!;) I have a "back-up" white MacBook for this purpose at this moment. The 17 incher is in pristine condition...and I want to keep it that way.:)

Thanks Ivan...I will give this some serious consideration!:)

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.8 GHz i7 MBA 11" OSX 10.8.2
My 2009 17" MBP - is the same way - it stays on the desktop and is running OSX Server. That being said - I have always had a Speck Hardshell on it. I dropped it from the upper compartment on a Plane - luckily it bounced on the seat before hitting the ground. Even then - it cracked the bottom part of the Speck Case. I bought a second one so I have 1.5 cases (only the top of the second case is sitting unused) - so I don't think it would do you any good.

Hopefully nothing happens to it.

The other thing I am thinking about is a Zagg Skin.
iPad Cases, Keyboards, Screen Protectors, & iPhone Skins | ZAGG
I know people have had trouble with the invisible shields peeling - but I've been using leather skins on my iPad and Zagg Skins - and they seem thicker - hence more robust. I have a Zagg Skin on my MBA - and it has flown ~ 25,000 miles this year. The skin is a little scratched up but it has held up well. I'm thinking since I am no longer really moving the MBP - a skin may be a way to prevent typical scratches. (Won't help if my kids knock it off the desk) - and it is still expensive. But they still have 2nd Gen Unibody MBP as a choice.

OP
pigoo3

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The other thing I am thinking about is a Zagg Skin.

I thought about skins (which are good protection against scratch's)...but I'm not so sure they're very good for dent protection, and they don't cover the edges of the laptop. But a skin would be better than nothing. I had a Speck hard shell case on my previous non-unibody 17" MBP and had great results/protection...so a hard shell is my first choice.

What stinks is...my wife got a 13" MBP after I got my 17" MBP...and she got an iPearl mCover. I think that these are as good or even better than Speck hard shell cases...they:

- fit very well
- have more colors to choose from
- have little flip-down feet to angle the laptop while on a desktop
- the iPearl case seems to allow the MBP display to open fully...then compared to my old Speck case which wouldn't allow the display to open much more than 90°

So when she got her's I thought..."Hey I'll get one of those for my 2011 17" MBP." I go to the site...and found that they don't make ANY 17" hard shell cases!:(

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.