external optical drive

lrd

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2009 MacBook Pro 15" - 2013 iMac 3.4GHz quad-core i7, Fusion Drive, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680MX
I'm about to order an iMac and unlike most I need the optical drive. I'd like to get one that will read BluRay (burning not required) and Burn standard DVDs (Preferable all the types).

Any recommendations? I'd rather not spend too much (the iMac is spendy enough) but I don't want a slug drive.

Thanks

OP
L

lrd

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2009 MacBook Pro 15" - 2013 iMac 3.4GHz quad-core i7, Fusion Drive, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680MX
Anyone? Preferably aluminum finish but not required

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Here's a good place to start looking Search Results for Blu ray burners at MacSales.com. I have dealt with them a number of times though I have not purchased one of these drives.

You may be able to find a good drive for less. I have not checked prices recently.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Use a Samsung SE208 on my iMac, connected to a USB hub with multiple connections and individual on/off switches.

OP
L

lrd

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Here's a good place to start looking Search Results for Blu ray burners at MacSales.com. I have dealt with them a number of times though I have not purchased one of these drives.

You may be able to find a good drive for less. I have not checked prices recently.

At the moment I'm avoiding these guys. I went to their booth at CES with this exact question and all I got was a bunch of blank stares and "maybe this will work...?". I was very disappointed...the OWC guy at Photoshop world was very personable and very knowledgeable.

I should add I'd prefer an AC powered version versus USB...they tend to be faster.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.