What exactly does a firewall do?

Reaction score
I'm not a high-tech person, so I need a simple explanation. What does turning on the firewall on a Mac do?

C

chas_m

Answer: not much.

A firewall protects you from denial-of-service ping-flood attacks. Your router already has a hardware firewall built in, most likely, and that's all you need. There's no need to turn on the Mac's software firewall in most circumstances. "Stealth mode" refers to the Mac's default state online: no unnecessary ports open, or returning results from inquiries.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
You do, however, may wish to turn on your firewall when using public WiFi. (Starbucks, public library, etc.)

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
You do, however, may wish to turn on your firewall when using public WiFi. (Starbucks, public library, etc.)
This should be reiterated. Hardware based firewalls (such as those found in routers) are great if you never leave the network that is protected by said firewall. If you have a portable Mac that you use on a public or unsecured network, you may want to consider enabling it.

C

chas_m

You may want to CONSIDER enabling it, but most public Wi-Fi routers ALSO have a hardware firewall on their routers (since most routers have them, period), so again you're probably just opening yourself up to access issues by invoking the software firewall.

The software firewall is there primarily for the benefit of people who are on routers (or dial-up) with NO hardware firewall. If you know you're in that situation, then by all means you should use it.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
The problem is that you don't know which public WiFi is behind a NAT enabled router. It's better to turn on your firewall and be safe when using public WiFi. It's even better when traveling and using public WiFi to have a VPN. (Virtual Private Network)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.5ghz Intel Core i5 Ivy Bridge, 8 GB 1600 MHz DDR3 RAM, Intel HD Graphics 4000, 13inch Retina
If you still need further explanation of what a firewall is I feel that this article gives a pretty decent description: Firewall Explained.

C

chas_m

The problem is that you don't know which public WiFi is behind a NAT enabled router. It's better to turn on your firewall and be safe when using public WiFi. It's even better when traveling and using public WiFi to have a VPN. (Virtual Private Network)

Fair enough, though I would add that if you're just doing silly casual stuff (nothing sensitive, financial, medical etc) it may not be worth the hassle to turn all that stuff on.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.