Macbook pro unable to connect to the internet via Ethernet or Airport

Reaction score
Now, before anyone suggests a fix, I want to state the methods that I have already attempted:

I have already tried
-resetting PRAM
-restarting routers/modems. Yes, I did wait at least 30-60 seconds for each device after taking them offline.
-countless computer restarts
-reinstalled OS X Snow Leopard
-Deleted SystemConfiguration/keychain/network files and preferences
-Tried a direct ethernet connection - no dice
-Created a new user account and logged it in - still no internet available

Now, the long story:

My battery health is pretty screwy (which causes calibration issues- but that is not the subject of my thread) and my computer decides to force shutdown. When I turn it back on, it tells me that my date and time are wrong - they are set to some date in year 2000. No big deal I say, I've seen that before. Then I notice my internet is not working, despite being connected to my network - which initially shows full bars, then goes to an exclamation point/error symbol. So I go ahead and attempt all the above. No matter what I do, I get the same errors, which are in the screenshots below.

Wxway.png

7fmLJ.png

ZsrXa.png

As I said earlier, I went ahead and researched the fixes to this problem/similar problems. None have yielded results. All other computers and devices in my home are able to use the internet without issues.

At this point I am seriously considering a reformat, but I would like to know if there is anything else that I can do.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac
meh.... where goes the #1 post ?

the awkward thread :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
Under System preferences > network > and when selecting the ethernet option does it say "self assigned Ip address"

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac
Under System preferences > network > and when selecting the ethernet option does it say "self assigned Ip address"

guys did you see the #1 post, ?
seriously i can't see the #1 post :Confused: :Confused:
Note, im not thread starter

OP
A
Reaction score
I have no idea what happened to my original post.

Looks like I have to retype the entire thing. For now hold off on diagnosis or advice, because as mentioned earlier, somehow these forums nuked my screenshots of the problem and the description of the errors.

I am still running Snow Leopard. There is no such option in Sys Preferences > Network for Ethernet, only DHCP, DHCP manual IP, PPPoE, Manual, and BootP.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
@Apec:

Your post was moderated due to the images you posted which is why it didn't show up. I approved the post and removed the duplicate.

Thanks for your patience.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.8 GHz i7 MBA 11" OSX 10.8.2
Did you set the date/time? It does matter when trying to use DHCP - as when you try to get a lease - if your clock and date are wrong - the lease request will probably fail.

Or you could try setting static.

If your clock keeps resetting then it sounds like your PRAM battery is also bad (also known to PC folks as the CMOS battery)

OP
A
Reaction score
Thanks for approving chscag.

I'll try that Ivan. That certainly makes sense now. I'll report on the results, hopefully from that macbook itself lol.

OP
A
Reaction score
Mission success. I am making this post from my MBP as I type. Thanks for the help everyone. After a restart after fixing the clock, it's working again. Funny how some of the smallest things make the biggest impact.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.