Clean install mountain lion 10.8 very frustrating please help.

Reaction score
Hello people my first post here hoping to get some much needed help if possible .

Macbook air 13in .

I downloaded mountain lion 0.8 and mounted it onto a usb drive (8gb) DMG File .

Macantosh Macbook HD been formatted in disk utility.

Here are the steps i followed

Then launch Disk Utility. If you're using a USB flash drive or other external disk, you'll need to make sure it's formatted as "Mac OS Extended (Journaled)." Under the partition options, also make sure the partition type is set to "GUID Partition Table," otherwise it won't be able to boot an Intel-based Mac.

DONE THIS AND CLICKED APPLY

I GET A DMG FILE COME UP ON THE LEFT HAND SIDE WERE THE HD LIST IS BUT AS SOON AS I CLICK TO GO TO THE NEXT STEP

NEXT STEP

Drag and drop the "InstallESD.dmg" into the "Source" box in Disk Utility. Then click the "Restore" button on the toolbar. Drag your newly formatted drive into the "Destination" box, and click the "Restore" button. The process should take about 30 minutes or so, less if your drive is particularly speedy.

THE INSTALLESD.DMG FILE DISAPPEARED

I know i don something wrong but the problem i have now is my windows laptop will not read my usb drive so i can format it and drag and drop the mountain lion OS onto it to try again , i have made my usd drive GUID Partition Table and windows wont read it under my computer ...

Please help :\

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.8 GHz i7 MBA 11" OSX 10.8.2
Did you format the Macbook Air hard drive - i.e. - it no longer boots?

I followed this guide to get a bootable USB device
How to make a bootable Mountain Lion install drive | Macworld

What dmg file shows up on the left - and on the left of what? Is it in Finder? Is it in Disk Utility? It should be done in disk utility and it should look like the picture in the article I linked to.

Your last line makes no sense - there shouldn't be any windows laptop involved here - as it cannot format the USB drive correctly to boot for the Mac. Everything should be done from Mac OSX and the Macbook Air.

OP
N
Reaction score
It boots only to disk utility.

The mountaion lion DMG boot showed up on the left in disc utility but i made a mistake somewere and now its not showing at all hence why i want to format the usb via windows and re drop mountain lion onto usb to try again.

I downloaded Mountain lion 0.8 from a torrent site.

The MBA i have was given to me with a formatted hard drive via disc utility.

The mountain lion i have is download to my windows pc were i droped it onto a usb flash drive .

i have made a mistake somewhere in disk utility and now cant see the DMG Moutain lion folder when i mount usb to MBA .

I want to format the usb and drop a clean copy of the mountain lion onto it via my windows pc so i can try install mountain lion agan on the MBA.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
I confess I am a bit confused but it sounds like you might have formatted whatever drive contained the Mountain Lion image.

Even if I am wrong about that there are three other issues here that complicate things.

1. If you are going to use a drive to boot the Mac it won't work if the drive is formatted from Windows. AFAIK Windows utilities cannot format drives as MacOS Extended Journaled which is needed.

2. I suggest purchasing a legit copy of Mountain Lion. I believe the last few trojans to make it onto Macs were distributed via torrents of Apple software.

3. Doubt many members will help with installation of tormented software. There are no legit torrents of OS X so the forum is not going to get involved in helping circumvent copyright.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.