Trying to install WIndows XP via Bootcamp

Reaction score
Hello,

Have a early 2010 13" MBP.

Running 10.6.8 OS X

Trying to install windows xp through bootcamp but I'm having a problem.

Through the bootcamp assistant, I partition 32gb.
I then insert the windows do disc and it runs for a few minutes and this come up
IMAG0154-1.jpg

I select partition 3, click enter.

Then
IMAG0153-2.jpg

After the install is finished, the computer reboots and I get this
IMAG0152-2.jpg

If I push enter quickly the whole process starts over again, windows tries to reinstall it Akers me ack to the first picture I posted.

Any suggestions?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.8 GHz i7 MBA 11" OSX 10.8.2
What version of bootcamp? For XP it has to be 3.0
Also - what service pack of XP do you have - I believe you need SP2 for Windows to install on Bootcamp.
(This is all really old stuff so I am going of memory)

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
If I remember correctly (it's been 4 years since I installed XP on a Mac) the screen you're seeing is normal. The system (Boot Camp assistant) will reboot the machine by itself. If you press any key, everything starts over, in other words don't do that. Just wait until it reboots itself and Windows will start the install.

Ivan could be correct but try what I suggested first.

OP
J
Reaction score
OP
J
Reaction score
If I remember correctly (it's been 4 years since I installed XP on a Mac) the screen you're seeing is normal. The system (Boot Camp assistant) will reboot the machine by itself. If you press any key, everything starts over, in other words don't do that. Just wait until it reboots itself and Windows will start the install.

I will try that now.

OP
J
Reaction score

It's not doing any thing. Been on this screen for over 15 minutes

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
It's been a while but from memory:

In Windows XP setup you need to reformat as NTFS - screenshot shows FAT32

On reboot don't touch anything

OP
J
Reaction score
It's been a while but from memory:

In Windows XP setup you need to reformat as NTFS - screenshot shows FAT32

On reboot don't touch anything

Would you be able to instruct me exactly how to do this? Im sorry Im not very good at doing this type of thing.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
The format option is on the screen after the first you have posted.

However, after more thinking I believe what's been posted earlier is the issue.

You need a Version of Windows XP including service pack 2. Looking at the link you've posted it doesn't appear to be on the disc you have.

If you have access to a Windows PC you can download the standalone version of SP2 and merge the XP disc you have into the service pack. It's called slipstreaming and will produce a new disc for you. Here's a tool that does it easily: nLite - Deployment Tool for the bootable Unattended Windows installation

Though I suspect you may be better getting an XP disc with SP2 included rather than the one you have.

That's all assuming the disc you have doesn't include SP2, as I say, it's not clear from your link.

OP
J
Reaction score
The format option is on the screen after the first you have posted.

However, after more thinking I believe what's been posted earlier is the issue.

You need a Version of Windows XP including service pack 2. Looking at the link you've posted it doesn't appear to be on the disc you have.

If you have access to a Windows PC you can download the standalone version of SP2 and merge the XP disc you have into the service pack. It's called slipstreaming and will produce a new disc for you. Here's a tool that does it easily: nLite - Deployment Tool for the bootable Unattended Windows installation

Though I suspect you may be better getting an XP disc with SP2 included rather than the one you have.

That's all assuming the disc you have doesn't include SP2, as I say, it's not clear from your link.

Would this work? I doesn't have to be XP I can use windows 7

Microsoft Windows 7 Professional 64-bit Full - Branded - Microsoft Windows 7

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If you can use 7 then I'd urge you to do so. Much better bootcamp support

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
So long as the description is accurate, yes.

OP
J
Reaction score
That windows 7 professional will be here tomorrow.

Am I good to go with just that, or do I need additional windows drivers? If i do, how do I go about getting those?

thanks again

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OP
J
Reaction score
Ok, making better progress with windows 7, except I've run into this

IMAG0171-1.jpg

IMAG0172-2.jpg

How should I proceed ?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You need to format the bootcamp partition as NTFS

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
There are details in the guide I linked to earlier. And as suggested you really need to read and understand it to avoid issues now and further down the line

OP
J
Reaction score
You need to format the bootcamp partition as NTFS

Figured that. I'm on the windows installer. There is a format button I can hit here. If I click that will that give me the option or do I have to start back in OS X to format it in NTFS?

If I have to go back to OS X, how do I get back there and out of this windows setup?

OP
J
Reaction score
There are details in the guide I linked to earlier. And as suggested you really need to read and understand it to avoid issues now and further down the line

Just went through it. I formatted it how it said to and now it's installing windows.

Only thing is after I formatted it it no longer said bootcamp.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.