Apple TV/Optical audio

Reaction score
I play my audio for TV out of my receiver/DVD player 5.1 surround. I run a HDMI from cable box to receiver and play it through and AUX setting.

I recently bought Apple TV and a optical audio cable. I have the optical audio cable going from my receiver to Apple TV and plugged into SAT input.

I cannot get any sound out of my 5.1 surround using Apple TV. The only way to get sound is from my TV.

In order to get the best out of my music/movies I want to utilize the surround sound.

Any suggestions?

Much thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
Many receivers, especially ones that are a bit older, have an optical mode within the device setting that you have to enable. Does each input on your receiver have an optical input or is there simply one optical input that can be shared by the optical capable imput settings?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
Mine's like this. It's an older Sony receiver. You have to allocate the optical or digital coax to a particular input(s)

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
I play my audio for TV out of my receiver/DVD player 5.1 surround. I run a HDMI from cable box to receiver and play it through and AUX setting.

Why don't you plug that HDMI into the HDMI 1 input on the receiver and assign it to the Cbl/Sat in the receivers menu?
How do you get the video to the TV from there?
Using the receiver as an HDMI switch and have another HDMI cable going from the receiver to the TV?

I recently bought Apple TV and a optical audio cable. I have the optical audio cable going from my receiver to Apple TV and plugged into SAT input.

Why not plug the HDMI from the Apple TV to the receiver - not the TV?
Using HDMI # 2 input and assign it to the Aux via the receivers menu.
No need for the optical cable at all then.
And problem below disappears.

I cannot get any sound out of my 5.1 surround using Apple TV. The only way to get sound is from my TV.

In order to get the best out of my music/movies I want to utilize the surround sound.

Any suggestions?

Much thanks!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.