MacBook Pro 2012 (Non Retina) Ordered!

Reaction score
Evening All!

I've taken the jump and ordered my new and first MacBook Pro 2012 (Non Retina) which should be arriving late next week which I must say I'm extremely excited about!

I just wanted to get some advice regarding the fans / heating on the devices. I understand they do not have fans on the underside so while I'd assume that a cooling pad/fan for it to sit on would be pointless, a friend of mine who is a long time Apple user said it would be best to get one if I plan to do much video editing / gaming as the fans can get quite loud and the system can get fairly hot.

I've seen mixed information on this on the web and just wanted to see how true this is and if it is the case that the system can get quite hot, is a cooling pad/fan worth it or would it not work properly with a MacBook Pro?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
All Mac computers are engineered with heat in mind and will shut themselves down to prevent an overheat condition - which would be rare.

The only thing I recommend is a notebook stand which will aid in allowing air to flow under the machine but more importantly, protect it from a nasty spill. Read our Sticky Post at the top of this forum regarding spills and take note. ;)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.