i'm learning

Reaction score
I have a Mac OS X 2GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM (whatever the heck that is!) I am trying to figure out how to upgrade this computer to a Cougar or Lion, or whatever animal I need to download a Quicken Essentials for Mac. I need to upgrade to a MAC OSX 10.5.8 or later or 10.6.2. I have seen on the Mac Store there are downloads for what I need, maybe. My problem is I have no clue what I need, how to purchase it, or even someone to help me pick the item because I'm not able to comprehend the process for all of this. I mean really ~ I've got this dynamic machine and have no real idea how to operate it.

In the 90's I used a Mac for work and it was so easy, which is why I've always wanted a new Mac for me at home. Things have changed a lot since then and the world has kind of passed me by. There are no Mac stores here nor is there anyone who works on anything besides PCs.

Today is January 4th, 2013 and I will be gone until Jan. 8th. I will look up replies, if I get any, when I return. By the way, what is a trackback, a separate URL, and am I in trouble for not doing that.

Thank you all from such a beginner.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I have a Mac OS X 2GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM (whatever the heck that is!)

Sorry...but this means almost nothing in regards to identifying what computer model you have. What you mostly gave us was some information regarding the ram.

You need to go to the:

- Apple drop-down menu
- click on the "About This Mac" button
- tell us what it says there

Tell us if it is a:

- Mac-Mini
- Mac Pro
- MacBook Pro
- MacBook
- iMac
- MacBook Air
- etc.

Finally tell us what operating system version you are using.

* Nick

Today is January 4th, 2013 and I will be gone until Jan. 8th. I will look up replies, if I get any, when I return.

p.s. Can't wait...I'll set my calendar by it!;)

p.s.s. By the way...where I am it's actually January 6th, 2013 (not January 4th, 2013)!!!;)

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
We will need a bit more information to help with this one. Fortunately it is easy to find. Click on the Apple that is in the upper left of the screen and choose "About this Mac".

A new "screen" will appear. The look will vary a bit depending upon which version of the OS you have. In either case look for something that says version followed by a number such 10.5, 10.6.8, 10/7.5, etc).

Also jot down anything it might say about the Processor (PPC, Intel Core 2 Duo, i5, etc). Don't worry if it doesn't make sense. We can explain once we have the information.

Is this a recently purchased Mac? If new, it probably contains something close to the current OS which will be less hassle but we can cope with that in another post.

OP
D
Reaction score
hello

Okay, here's some more information. Hope it helps. Now, do I stay and wait for a reply or do I just come back another day? Thanks for the help.

Model Name: iMac
Model Identifier: iMac7,1
Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
Processor Speed: 2.4 GHz
Number Of Processors: 1
Total Number Of Cores: 2
L2 Cache (per processor): 4 MB
Memory: 2 GB
Bus Speed: 800 MHz
Boot ROM Version: IM71.007A.B03
SMC Version: 1.21f4
Serial Number: W87380L8X8A

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Now, do I stay and wait for a reply or do I just come back another day?

Like any internet forum...you post a question...then you wait for replies. This could mean 5 seconds, 5 minutes, 5 hours, a couple days, etc.

This is the way internet forums work.;)

- Nick

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Like any internet forum...you post a question...then you wait for replies. This could mean 5 seconds, 5 minutes, 5 hours, a couple days, etc.

This is the way internet forums work.;)

- Nick

And while most questions here at MAc-Forums are answered fairly quickly:

That time frame depends on how long it is before a "registered" member that also has a response to your question sees your post.

With practically all forums, you're getting free (as in "out of the kindness of their heart") assistance from other users just like you.

Consequently, with some questions, when you don't know the answer, there may not be anyone else that knows the answer either.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
I guess the OP didn't stay, but will probably be back. I trust that the link in post #5 answered the question, but it's not loading for me. The problem is probably on my end. Looks like those specs are good for SL, if a little light on RAM.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PPC Mini, 10.4.11. Intel Mini, 10.6.8. MacBook Pro, 10.14.6. M1 MBA 11.6.3 iPhone 5 iOS 12.5,
OP
D
Reaction score
Okay ~ so #5 is a link that will give me the download I need, right? I tried it, but I couldn't get it to work. Is that link the one I need to upgrade my OSX?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
Okay ~ so #5 is a link that will give me the download I need, right? I tried it, but I couldn't get it to work. Is that link the one I need to upgrade my OSX?
No download that is the page to order the SL disc and have it sent to your mailing address.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.