Eratic trackpad on macbook pro ML

Bry

Reaction score
Hi all and a Happy New Year.

Tried s/w on s/w off, plug unplug, pram, pram and pram again - screamed a bit cried a bit; all to no avail!

My track pad is playing up, it wont scroll properly or point accurately and I am struggling to post this. I do not have any external devices and really do need to get some work done.

Any help, as long as it is not too technically involved, would be greatly appreciated.

Signed
Frustrated of Bournemouth (X)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.8 GHz i7 MBA 11" OSX 10.8.2
What year is your Macbook Pro?
My 2009 has a problem where the battery has gotten old and is pushing up against my trackpad - so I can only click with the bottom right corner.

Have you tried an external mouse? If not - try one and see if it acts erratic too. Turn off the trackpad to isolate the problem. (You didn't mention what version of OSX you are running)
About the "Ignoring trackpad when mouse is present" option on computers with a Multi-Touch trackpad
If the external mouse is not acting erratic - then it could be a hardware problem and I would take it to the nearest Apple Store or Reseller. If the external mouse still acts erratic - then it could be software that is interfering with your mouse use. (Anything like better touch tool, Zoooom, Better Snap Tool, etc installed?)

OP
B

Bry

Reaction score
Hello Ivan,

Thanks for answering, it is a new Macbook Pro 10.8.2 Mountain Lion whatever that means!?

As you can probably tell I am new to Apple Mac - feeling a bit disappointed with it to tell the truth.

There is not anything extra installed apart from a mac/windows office package and I have tried an external wifi mouse which seems to work alright but I cant say I like using it because it is somewhat awkward.

Bryan

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.8 GHz i7 MBA 11" OSX 10.8.2
I agree - I do not use external pointing devices anymore. I am quite satisfied with the multi-touch gestures of the trackpad. Speaking of which - can you turn off all multi-touch gestures and see if the trackpad behaves better? If not - I would take it in to an Apple Store and have them look at it. (Hopefully there is one close)

OP
B

Bry

Reaction score
I was thinking of trying to get a 'quick fix' in before having to contact a helpline under the guarantee - which is during normal peoples working hours on weekdays!

Unfortunately, some of us have to work whenever the opportunity arrises. I don't know what time it is there but here in wintery Bournemouth it's 17.06 . . . .

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Various Mac's
From your description you appear to have been unlucky and have a trackpad hardware problem. At least you have a local service provider in Bournemouth, Solutions Inc. Rapid Group are also in Ferndown.

If you phone Apple on 0844 876 0611 with your S/N they should be able to assist checking the basics, although you've already gone through those yourself, and then confirm the contact details of the closest service provider.

OP
B

Bry

Reaction score
Thank you very much for that, will do.

It is typical, I have changed from Windows to Mac in order to try to improve my lot and this happens - do you know, I think I am going to take this as a good omen and trust that the rest of the year goes well . . .

Thanks again

Bryan

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.