HP Scanjet 3400C

Reaction score
I have a Hewlett Packard Scanjet 3400C which I used with my old PC, but now I have a Mac Mini I would like to set it up so that it works with this. I have tried various options and downloading "gettext", libusb, SANE backend and SANE Preference files then installing them, but none of this works. Does anyone have a solution how to get the scanner working?

OP
T
Reaction score
Link for Scanjet

Thanks pendlewitch but unfortunately I downloaded all those files on that link and it didn't work.

Yes my Scanjet is old, but why should I replace something that works?! We get screwed enough in the computer industry with updating our OS only to find that the software we were using just before the upgrade now doesn't work with the latest version (such as Final Cut Studio 2 and Pro Tools 9.0), as an example, so I will not be compelled to buy another scanner and waste money.

Hopefully one day I will find a way of getting it to work with OSX, but for the present, I'll have to rely on using it with the old PC.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air M1 2020 Ventura 13.4.1 500Gb 8Gb. iPhone12, Watch 5, HomePods.
Thanks pendlewitch but unfortunately I downloaded all those files on that link and it didn't work.

Yes my Scanjet is old, but why should I replace something that works?! We get screwed enough in the computer industry with updating our OS only to find that the software we were using just before the upgrade now doesn't work with the latest version (such as Final Cut Studio 2 and Pro Tools 9.0), as an example, so I will not be compelled to buy another scanner and waste money.

Hopefully one day I will find a way of getting it to work with OSX, but for the present, I'll have to rely on using it with the old PC.

That's fair comment Tech Bloke but your scanner must be 10+ years old and new ones (including really good all-in-ones) are for nothing comparatively.

OP
T
Reaction score
Scanjet 3400C

Yeah sure I'm aware the prices are low, but it's the principle. I don't believe in wasting money, albeit a relatively small amount.

The industry is forcing us towards all-in-ones but same issue for me: I have a printer along with the scanner that works so there's little point in an "all-in-one" for me and I think it's wholly unnecessary to 'print via the web', especially as most things are accessed electronically these days so the need for paper copies of anything is fast disappearing. So I would then be only using a third of the functionality of the new device which is a waste.

The need for printers and scanners is fast disappearing anyway, especially with people sitting in meetings and they've all got an iPad that they're accessing documents, design templates etc. So there's little point in spending money on old technology such as scanners and printers, I'd rather stay with what I've got and keep it working and then bypass this old way of doing things.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air M1 2020 Ventura 13.4.1 500Gb 8Gb. iPhone12, Watch 5, HomePods.
Now I'm all for principles... but why would spending not very much money on a brand new piece of state of the art equipment be a waste of money?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.