Imac 27 0ver heating

Reaction score
My Imac27 3.06 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo OS10.6.8, is overheating I downloaded IStat Pro to monitor the temps. I then downloaded smcFanControl 2.2.2. When I tried to open the fan control nothing happened. I tried dragging the Icon from the applications folder to the trash to uninstall and to try again to download and install it but I get a message that says it can't be moved to the trash because it's open. I can't find where it is to close it. It doesn't show up in the menu and when I go to force quit, it's not on the list.

Help please!

Screen shot 2013-01-05 at 10.23.32 PM.png

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Are those reading in C or F?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Those readings are F Dennis. His fan speeds are all normal and I don't see any overheating at all. (If those readings were C the fans would be going crazy.)

To the OP: Get rid of SMCFanControl. Your temps and fan speeds are normal.

C

chas_m

The fact that your machine is on for you to get the reading proves it is NOT overheating, you are just over-reacting. I really wish I understood why people think that Apple has "forgotten" to provide for cooling in their otherwise superbly-engineered machines. It's sheer madness to imagine that they didn't think of it or provide for it. Must come from stupid Windows machines, that's the only explanation I can come up with.

If your iMac were, in fact, overheating, it would SHUT DOWN. Is it doing that?

Using a toy like SMC Fan Control will in fact MASK any real problems, override the engineering design and may in fact CAUSE problems as likely as it is to "solve" anything. I would discontinue using it immediately.

Your temps look perfectly normal to me.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
That is what I figured Charley. Reason I asked as he said it was overheating and if those were in C that would be very true! :D

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.