Port forwarding Airport Extreme - not getting the options I'm expecting?

Reaction score
So I'm trying to forward port 80 for a web server on my router which is connected to my airport extreme, but I'm receiving options that don't seem typical. I'm using Airport Utility 5.6 and when I go to add to port mappings, I get the options, "Description (can't even enter anything here)", "Public Port Number", "Private IP Address", and "Private Port Number". This is something different that what I've been seen previously. Before, I had gotten private/public UDP ports, private/public TCP ports, and private IP address. What exactly is going on and how might I be able to achieve my desired results?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.8 GHz i7 MBA 11" OSX 10.8.2
5.6 is pretty old - is there a reason you aren't using 6.1 Airport Utility? I just checked and 6.1 has what you described as being familiar to you.

That being said - what is in 5.6 seems normal for port mapping. Description - is just a way to select commonly used port mappings (like ssh being 22) - but you can put anything here. Generally your Public Port and Private port would map to the same number as service - in your case 80 for http - and the Private IP Address - should be the web server ip address that is internal.

OP
J
Reaction score
5.6 is pretty old - is there a reason you aren't using 6.1 Airport Utility? I just checked and 6.1 has what you described as being familiar to you.

That being said - what is in 5.6 seems normal for port mapping. Description - is just a way to select commonly used port mappings (like ssh being 22) - but you can put anything here. Generally your Public Port and Private port would map to the same number as service - in your case 80 for http - and the Private IP Address - should be the web server ip address that is internal.

Well my airport is pretty old, so that must be the case. When I try to use the current Airport Utility, it tells me "This version of AirPort Utility doesn't support this base station". Anyway thanks for the help.

OP
J
Reaction score

New problem. The private IP address of the device I'm using as a web server is 192.168.2.2. However, Airport Utility is telling me that the private IP address must be 10.0.1.x In Network Utility is tells me the WIFI address is 10.0.1.8, but I need to forward to the device at 192.168.2.2??

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You are going to have to explain a bit more. Is there a second private network? Generally Apple provides the 10.0.1.x - so that looks normal. 192.168.2.* is generally a class C network - but if your Airport is providing 10.0.1.x - the where is 192.168.2.* coming from? Why are there 2 subnets in your network?

OP
J
Reaction score
You are going to have to explain a bit more. Is there a second private network? Generally Apple provides the 10.0.1.x - so that looks normal. 192.168.2.* is generally a class C network - but if your Airport is providing 10.0.1.x - the where is 192.168.2.* coming from? Why are there 2 subnets in your network?

Well, perhaps. I'm not quite sure how to look at it. I have an Arduino Ethernet (which I'm using as a web server) hooked up to my macbook through an ethernet cable and internet sharing enabled, and my laptop connects wirelessly to my router which is connected to the Airport.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I looked up Arduino Ethernet - and found your board. I've never used it so I have no idea how to configure it. But if it came up with 192.168.2.2 - it sounds like it either set it's own address - or wants to serve addresses. So somehow you probably want to configure your board to dhcp - so it can get an ip address from your Airport Extreme.

Arduino - ArduinoBoardEthernet
According to this page
The board also can connect to a wired network via ethernet. When connecting to a network, you will need to provide an IP address and a MAC address. The Ethernet Library is fully supported.

This is pretty low level stuff - so you will probably have to find a vaild MAC - and assign an address outside the DHCP range so that it won't interfere with DHCP.

OP
J
Reaction score
I looked up Arduino Ethernet - and found your board. I've never used it so I have no idea how to configure it. But if it came up with 192.168.2.2 - it sounds like it either set it's own address - or wants to serve addresses. So somehow you probably want to configure your board to dhcp - so it can get an ip address from your Airport Extreme.

Arduino - ArduinoBoardEthernet
According to this page

This is pretty low level stuff - so you will probably have to find a vaild MAC - and assign an address outside the DHCP range so that it won't interfere with DHCP.

This is exactly what I've already done. I have a sketch that it runs which connects it through DHCP and prints out the IP address it uses, which turns out to be 192.168.2.2

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well if you want to connect to your AE you'll have to change the subnet on the board - otherwise - in essence, your board is its own network. You'll have to change it to 10.0.1.something - as I said just make sure it is outside the dhcp range of your AE.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.