Embedding Cover Art To Music in iTunes

Reaction score
Hi everyone.

I want to know wheter adding a cover art to a music file in iTunes embeds the image to the music file or it just makes itunes show the cover art when you click on the music file?

I mean do we see the same cover art when we use music players other than iTunes?

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
Hi everyone.

I want to know wheter adding a cover art to a music file in iTunes embeds the image to the music file or it just makes itunes show the cover art when you click on the music file?

I mean do we see the same cover art when we use music players other than iTunes?

I know it embeds it for Movies, so I assume the same applies for Music, but I could be wrong.

C

chas_m

The answer is "it depends." MP4 files (AAC like the kind you get from iTunes) have a capacity for included album art and thus the art is embedded.

MP3 files are audio and thus don't have this capacity, so iTunes will set up a little database to associate separate art with the correct music file.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.