wireless keyboard question

Reaction score
my wireless key board is connect to an ipad. however, iam unable to connect the wireless keyboard to my imac or another iPad. what do Ido

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
my wireless key board is connect to an ipad. however, iam unable to connect the wireless keyboard to my imac or another iPad. what do Ido

Bluetooth devices get "paired" with the hardware they are used with. So if a bluetooth keyboard is "paired" with say an iPad...then it needs to be "unpaired" before it is "paired" again with a different device such as an iMac.

"Pairing" is kind of like being married...you need to get "unmarried" (divorced) from your first spouse before getting married to a 2nd spouse!;) This is assuming someone lives in a culture that adheres to monogomy!;)

Here is how you do it:

Bluetooth: How to set up your Apple Wireless Keyboard

HTH,

- Nick

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
"Pairing" is kind of like being married...you need to get "unmarried" (divorced) from your first spouse before getting married to a 2nd spouse! This is assuming someone lives in a culture that adheres to monogomy!

LOL! I love the metaphor Nick. Very well put. ;)

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Good stuff Nick. I am sure everyone will know precisely and exactly the meaning of the post.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
We may have to update Nick's metaphor a bit. I read about this keyboard in the digital edition of macworld. It claims to pair with multiple devices and switch among them with the flip of a switch.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
late 2012 mini w/SSD
Ya, that would be polygamy!

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey

I have seen a process fro doing this that is supposed to work but it is a bit annoying. Tried it once myself but had some issues with it. Turns out they weren't related to this process but I never got back around to trying it again.

I think the process went something like this:

1. Pair the keyboard with you Mac as usual.
2. Either jot down the numerical ID that you have to type in or create one manually.
3. When pairing is complete turn off Bluetooth on the Mac. Moving well out of range might also work.
4. Turn on Bluetooth on the second device and complete pairing. Make sure you use the same ID number that was used with the first device.

Controlling which device "sees" the keyboard means turning off Bluetooth on any other devices paired with that keyboard..

This obviously won't work with devices that don't allow you to set the ID number. Though I suppose it might if you paired with them first then entered that number in the second device.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.