Retina MBP keyboard fails to work on airplane

Reaction score
I have a rather pernicious issue I was hoping to get some insight on, more out of curiosity than pain.

I've got a new 15" Retina Macbook Pro, 2.3 GHz i7, running Mountain Lion v10.8.2. While flying about a month ago, I noticed a few keys on the keyboard failed intermittently -- Left Ctrl, then Left Shift, Right Shift, Return, 'p', etc. The keys failed _progressively_ -- first Left Ctrl would stop working, then Left Shift, etc. Every few minutes another one would give. It might be happenstance, but the keys that failed to work are on either the far left or the far right sides of the keyboard.

Rebooting failed to fix the problem (and since Return failed, I was unable to log in). I tried logging in as the Guest user and encountered the same problem (all keys that had previously failed still failed to work, i.e. the problem did not start over or resolve at reboot or login). Booting into OS X Recovery also didn't work. Given that, it appears to be a hardware problem. I don't carry a USB or Bluetooth keyboard on flights, so can't unfortunately check that.

When I touched down, the keyboard worked fine and has since. Recently I went home to visit family and noticed it again when on the plane. On my way there and back, I flew on a variety of airlines (United, American, US Air) and the same problem happened again and again. Still only when flying. The problem remains when I have WiFi on, or off. I have another 13" Macbook Air that works fine on the same flight.

Am I crazy, or is the huge hunk of flying metal creating some Faraday cage and affecting my keyboard? This starts very soon after boot and doesn't appear to be caused by heat (at least, doesn't feel like it). No other parts on the MBP appear to be affected.

Does anyone have any insight into what this might be? I'm stumped but really just looking for a physics/EM explanation, or some insight into what other force might be causing the issue. Happy to answer more questions/troubleshoot more as needed.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Yours is the first I've heard about a retina keyboard failing or misbehaving when flying. If your machine is still under warranty, give Apple a call and ask them if they have received other reports of the same thing occurring. It is strange since you state that your Air was OK under the same circumstances.

You mentioned a Faraday effect, but I wonder if it could have something to do with cabin pressurization at altitude? Apple publishes specifications about using their machines at certain altitudes and temperatures. ?? Let us know if you find anything out from Apple or elsewhere.

Reaction score
From my understanding the specs state somewhere between 10000-15000 feet. Not sure why it would stop working at that altitude. Strange.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.