What Cables/Adapters needed to connect to HDTV?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2013 (late year) 15.4" MacBook Pro
Hi,

I would appreciate finding out what is necessary in terms of cables/adapters in order to get audio/video from my Macbook Pro notebook to my HDTV. I have a exercise/yoga subscription online that I would like to stream on my HDTV. I thought it might just take a MDP to HDMI adapter but the more I read, the more confused I get as to getting sound through one cable.

My limited understanding is that my model (2009 Model 5,5) does not support audio via the Mini Display Port to HDMI adapter and that I will require either a 3.5 mm jack to RCA or some other cable in order to get sound. Is this true? Do I even have a Mini Display Port (is this the same thing as Thunderbolt?).

I sincerely appreciate the experience of the members of this site and I apologize in advance for any ignorance expressed above. Thanks so much! Hugo

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Need your TV make and model to advise the proper cables.

OP
H
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Need your TV make and model to advise the proper cables.

Hi bobtomay,

Thank you for your response.

I have a Toshiba Regza 42RV530U (2008 production).

I purchased a mini adapter to HDMI, an HDMI cable, and a 3.5 mm jack to RCA. I cannot get any sound using the audio inputs so I connected the audio to my receiver and I get sound (and video).

I adjusted the audio input on my TV to "PC - Yes", but still no sound when using the audio inputs on the TV or by using a 3.5 mm from the headphone jack on my Mac and the TV. I guess the easiest fix is by going through my surround sound receiver.

Any other ideas? I did find this cable by Cablesson and wonder if it will work?
http://www.cablesson.com/cablesson-mini-displayport-usb-toslink-audio-to-hdmi-adapter.html

What do you think? Thanks, Hugo

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
I have not used audio on a TV. If you've got it going to the surround, that's where I've set mine up for at least the past 25-30 years.

If you want it on the TV:

Your owner's manual - link.

See page 11. You will notice an audio port there labeled as PC/HDMI 1 Audio.

That means you must use HDMI 1 with a HDMI input that does not carry sound.
And, you must use the "PC/HDMI 1 audio" input for sound.
That port is a 3.5mm stereo mini-jack - the same as on your Mac.
So you will need an audio cable that has a 3.5mm stereo mini-plug on both ends.

Read item #4 on that page.
Then follow it to page 50 and read the "Setting the PC audio" section.

You can use an adpater like you have linked to - however, since it has no price and doesn't tell you where to buy it, look to monoprice.com here and here.
Since you already have an HDMI cable - the stereo mini-plug cable can be had for less than $5.

OP
H
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hi bobtomay,

Thank you for your detailed and informative reply.

I took your suggestion of using my surround sound receiver for audio.

It was super easy and an inexpensive means by which to stream from my Mac to my HDTV.

Thank you for your thoughtful and well-researched reply. I really appreciate it. :) Hugo

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If your receiver has an optical input - use a mini-toslink to toslink cable instead of the 3.5mm mini-plug.
That will give you 5.1 when you're listening to 5.1 sources. The 3.5mm will only give you stereo.
Your Mac has a combo port so it can use that also.

The toslink cable looks like this - link - you can find them for under $5 too.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.