Issues installing OS on new HDD

Reaction score
Hi I inherited a late 2006 white imac intel core duo, after installing the os the machine worked fine then after began to move sluggish, so I decided to install a new HDD and then the problems began. Everytime I do the installation there is an error so I thought I got a bad HDD so I tried another same issues won't install. So I decided to install the OS on an external drive to test if there is an issue with the disc, it installed without a problem. so I figured it had to be the HDD, so I placed back the original hdd in it booted fine then I attached one of the new hdd to an external enclosure and tried the installation, and guess what it worked! my issue is that I would like the hdd inside the machine, so I was wondering could there be something wrong with the sata cable or the sata connector on the board?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I would like the hdd inside the machine, so I was wondering could there be something wrong with the sata cable or the sata connector on the board?

I usually recommend changing out that SATA cable when replacing the hard drive especially on older machines. The cable is susceptible to becoming brittle and cracking from the heat. I would replace the cable to see if that resolves the problem.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.