Airport Extreme vs New Sky Router

Reaction score
HI Guy's
i have been a extreme user for some time now but have been looking at the new Sky Router for my network.

I have a very simple question. Will the sky device provide me with better performance and wireless stability than the extreme?

I do have some stability issues but have never been able to understand wether it was a device problem or a broadband feed problem..

link to the sky specs if you haven't seen it before. Thoughts?
Sky Hub – Get our best ever wireless router

The auto power down does seem appealing but is this just a gimic or a real money saver?

thanks in advance

Daz

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air M1 2020 Ventura 13.4.1 500Gb 8Gb. iPhone12, Watch 5, HomePods.
Hi,

I can't see as to whether it's actually dual band or not...in that respect if I was investing in a new wireless router a dual 2.4 GHZ and 5 GHZ band one would be a must for me.

Some reading here Why Choose Simultaneous Dual Band

I'm not saying Netgear are tops or anything... mine's a Belkin :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks
so are you saying that neither are as good?

No, I'm saying if you go single band it will be a retrograde step in my opinion.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
The new Sky hub doesn't have gigabit Ethernet, doesn't have 5ghz option and is single band. All features of the AirPort Extreme. It does, however have a built in ADSL modem which the extreme doesn't. I presume you're using a separate modem at the moment?

No one has hands on the new Sky hub yet but I'd suggest your wifi issues are either a modem issue, a router config issue, a broadband stability issue or an environmental issue.

The extreme hardware is very capable but not necessarily configured correctly for sky broadband.

Any chance of giving us more details of your current setup and the specific issues faced?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hello mrplow..Happy New Year to you...thank you for pitching in...I was on my way out and couldn't get into much detail but...my two-penneth is that Darenf should explore the market place for a bespoke 'separate' solution rather than just trust Sky telling him or her that that is what is needed. Fancy that...their BRAND NEW wireless modem/router appears to be deficient to the point of ridicule.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
And a Happy New Year to you chap.

It's not the greatest spec for a new router but it's considerably better than those from many UK suppliers. But either way I wouldn't choose it over the Extreme

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.