New iMac owner - How do I download ML installer?

Reaction score
Guys and gals,

I just set up my new iMac 2 days ago, and I'm very happy. One thing I wanted to do was download the ML 10.8.2 installer and store it on an external HD for convenience, but the App Store doesn't seem to want to give me a free copy of ML. :\

Am I correct in assuming I can download a free copy of ML because I've just purchased an iMac? If I am correct, how do I download ML without forking over the $20. ;D

Cheers,

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
In addition to MacDuck's excellent link, you might consider this LINK to Recovery Assistant:
OS X: About Recovery Disk Assistant
This describes a method of achieving a bootable installer from a pre-installed Lion or Mountain Lion iMac. NB it would only work for that specific iMac. See if this helps.

If you have read MacDuck's linked thread, the person there felt that an outlay of $20 was worth it to have a generic ML installer. If you thought the same, you could spend the money, download a fresh copy of ML and follow this LINK for instructions on how to do it: How to Make a Bootable OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion USB Install Drive

This requires that you do the work, but it takes little more than 5 minutes.

If you prefer to have an App do the work for you, you can download the free "DiskMaker" first then:
Download ML. It will wind up in your Applications folder. Drag it over to your thumb drive (copy or move, doesn't matter). Start Lion Diskmaker, as it will also work with ML. It will find Mountain Lion on your thumb drive and format it to be bootable, so make sure there's nothing on there you don't want to lose.

These are just additional ideas you might wish to consider.

Ian

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2020 M1 MB Air
IWT I looked at that process in your link before re-buying ML.
The problem is that the recovery partition does not contain OSX or its installer, but allows you to download them from Apple. I didn't know whether you could start that process then stop it once the download was completed, make a copy etc etc. I decided that this was unlikely, so bought it again.
I may have tried harder if the cost had been greater :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
As mentioned you can't download ML from the App Store without buying it a fresh.

But then you don't need to. If a situation arises where you need to reinstall just hold R at boot and you get an option to download ML and reinstall

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2020 M1 MB Air
I was planning for the worst and imagining a hard drive failure outside of warranty. And I like multiple methods of recovering :)

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I was planning for the worst and imagining a hard drive failure outside of warranty. And I like multiple methods of recovering :)

Smart move. Hard drives do fail, and if you can't access the recovery partition because the drive has crashed, what then? You did the right thing. ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
On new Macs like the OP has Internet recovery will download and install Mountain Lion - even on a brand new disk

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2020 M1 MB Air
That's useful to know mrplow.
However there's nothing quite like holding a means to recover in your hand ;D
Not to mention that I can use it elsewhere too!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Oh I agree. Better to have too many options than too few :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.