Help me turn my Mac into a dual boot machine, please.

Reaction score
Hi, I would like to be able to boot into windows for a bit of gaming, and other random uses.

I have a Mac Pro quad 2.66 with 4 gigs of RAM, a 750 gig tornado drive, and an x1900xt.

I would like to put a new drive in that is used for Windows only - probably Windows 7. What am I looking for? I don't want to buy a hard drive and find out it cannot be used by my machine.

I would like to upgrade the graphics card to something a little more powerful, but again, I don't know what I can out in my machine.

I would also like to put in more RAM. Once more, I don't know what I can use. Help please?

I am running OS 10.6.8 if that matters.

EDIT: My disc drive is screwed too. What do I do about that?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Depends on the precise model. Some folk call the Mac Pro 1.1, 2.66GHz Dual Core a quad, and there is a later 2009 model, genuine quads, model 4.1. In my Mac Pro days just mounted a drive in Bay 2, formatted for Windows and installed Windows 7 and it worked well with an ATI Radeon HD4870 flashed video card with 1GB memory. Later 5770/6770 will also work better than the XT1900XT.

Got to say memroy needs upgrading to about 12/16GB to get the biggest boost for your buck.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.