Safari downloading to private "T" folder...?

Reaction score
Hi! So I'm just setting up my new macbook pro and I've already stumbled across a few problems. I was trying to download Chrome since I'm not a big fan of Safari, but when I activate the download it tells me this:

Safari could not download the file “googlechrome.dmg” because there is not enough free disk space.Try deleting documents or downloading to another disk.

The name of the download file then shows up as random letters, for instance "3tw7jw8w" and says cannot create file. When I checked where it was trying to download to it says it's going to Macintosh HD -> private -> var -> folders -> sy -> rmtb6_w931j66sfyr7qhbnp40000gn -> T

In Safari's preferences it's set to download to my Downloads folder... ???

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Try downloading it again. Make sure you're logged in to an admin account and watch closely where the Google Chrome dmg is downloading to. If necessary redirect the download to the correct folder if that odd ball folder shows up once more.

OP
M
Reaction score
I've tried to download it a couple times, and from two different sources. The other problem I've been having is with my permissions, could this be connected? I am logged in under an admin account, but I cannot change anything in Finder without having to enter my password each and every time.

I'll also try downloading the chrome .dgm on another computer and transferring it over.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
You might want to repair permissions on your machine before going any further. Although I find it strange that a new machine would have permissions problems. Did you by chance migrate data over to your new machine from an older Mac that you have?

OP
M
Reaction score
I did. I transferred all of my doc/apps/pics/music with an Iomega external hard drive. There was no problem on the iMac I transferred it all from, maybe the settings on the Iomega did this?

I'll try fixing the permissions now and see if that helps.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I suspected that's what you did. I also think you did the migration after you had already created an account on the new MacBook Pro. It's OK if that's what you did. Unfortunately, the Apple instructions are not very precise on how to do the migration.

Yes, go ahead and repair permissions before proceeding. Boot to your recovery partition by holding down command + r. Go into Disk Utility and select repair permissions. After it's finished, boot back to Mountain Lion and try again to download Chrome.

OP
M
Reaction score
So I ran both verify disk and verify permissions. When I first ran them both tests came up with problems. I repaired both disk and permissions, then ran verify once more to be sure and everything seems good.

But... I restarted after that was all done, and when the computer booted back up everything I had customized was back to how it was when I first transferred everything from the external HD. I tried making a couple small changes, like the background picture, restarted again to test it, and when it booted back up the settings were right back. The permissions issue with Finder is still there too.

OP
M
Reaction score
I restored the computer and reinstalled the OS and all of the problems were fixed. The problem was with the Iomega and all files transfered from it.

Thanks for your help.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.