Can't burn DVDs with Optiarc DVD internal burner

Reaction score
Hello,

I have a G5 Mac Pro desktop computer. It has a Optiarc DVD RW AD-7170A CD and DVD burner inside of it. When I updated to Mac OS X Lion 10.7.5 I was no longer able to burn DVDs. I can still burn CDs, just not DVDs. This issue started back in the summer and I didn't have time to fix it so my quick solution was to buy an external Blu Ray, DVD, CD burning device which has worked perfectly and still does on this system. Does anyone have any ideas how to get my internal burner to start burning DVDs again? Thanks, Brad Reed

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Welcome to the Mac Forums.

Since you're new.... please do not post the same question or start the same thread in more than one forum. That's known as cross posting. I removed your duplicate post.

Also, you have a Mac Pro not a G5 as they are different animals. When an optical drive displays the symptoms that yours does, it's usually because the laser or led light is not functioning correctly. The drive lens could also be dirty. You might try a can of compressed air - blow several short blasts into the drive opening. If that doesn't work, the drive probably needs to be replaced.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.