Trying to make an OSX recovery flash drive

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2020 M1 MB Air
I have the relevant guides and have a GUID partitioned 8GB flash drive.
But when I go to the Apple store and use option + click on Purchases no Mac installer is there. Is this because I am using a brand new rMBP that came with 10.8.2? Do I need to do something different?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
If Mountain Lion came pre-installed on your Retina MBP you will not see an option for a free download from the Mac App store.

OP
MacDuck
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2020 M1 MB Air
Oh I see.
If I'd upgraded to 10.8.2 I could get it but not when it came pre-installed? So is there no way for me to get the installer then?
Thanks.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I'm really not sure how you would go about getting a downloaded copy. It might be that you have to pay for it. If that's what you need to do, it sells for $19.99 US (convert that to UK pounds). Once you've download it, it's a very simple procedure to create a bootable flash drive. It took me all of 5 minutes to create one on an 8 GB flash drive.

Perhaps someone here has some experience with it and will chime in....

OP
MacDuck
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2020 M1 MB Air
Ok that's not too bad then. Thanks for your help chscag.

OP
MacDuck
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2020 M1 MB Air
Would the paid for version (£13-99 incidentally) be the same as the version pre-installed on this rMBP?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yes, the versions are the same. You may have to run software update after downloading it in order to get to 10.8.2, but that won't really matter anyway if all you intend to use it for is an installer.

OP
MacDuck
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2020 M1 MB Air
Ok that's good enough for a fallback.
I'll hang around for a while and see if any other ideas come along for grabbing the installer but paying for another isn't the end of the world at that price :)
Thanks again chscag

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Well to disagree ever so slightly with the learned chscag, I purchased a new iMac in late June 2012 and got a free upgrade to Mountain Lion from Apple. I made a USB thumb drive no problem, but Apple did warn the version I downloaded free of charge would only work with an iMac. Don't know what the difference might be, other than drivers suitable for iMac and not general drivers for all models.

You have Recovery, so perhaps the go will be to download OS X.9, whenever it may be released and burn that to the thumb drive. We will be advised when released the size of the thumb drive required. Have just gone through installing Disk Warrior and TechToolPro v. 6 to thumb drives. The latter required a 32GB thumb drive!

OP
MacDuck
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2020 M1 MB Air
Thanks harryb2448.
As the recovery partition doesn't include the installer (as such) and having Googled around a fair bit I decided to buy a new full version. I downloaded it overnight (actually the first download failed at 1.4GB but after signing in to Apple store again it continued ok) and I made an installer flash drive this morning.
I'm pleased to report that it boots ok, which is good :Cool:

For the £13-99 price it seemed like a good idea ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yes MacDuck it is a great idea. Now if you have an external drive consider cloning with SuperDuper and keeping up to date with weekly Smart Update which just makes changes to whatever has happened during the week. With the USB thumb drive you really don't need the Recovery partitoopn on the cloned drive.

OP
MacDuck
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2020 M1 MB Air
harryb2448 I have an external drive named the Tardis but I'm using that for TM backups. They will have everything I need to recover won't they?

I have used cloning systems before but to be honest I've had very mixed results and at the time of using them it's too late to find out they don't work!
Mind you I've heard of TM backups not restoring as well.
Any advice in that area?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
SD works well. Your external needs to be formatted Mac OS Extended (Journaled) in Disk Utility and GUID selected under Partition.

OP
MacDuck
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2020 M1 MB Air
Ok thanks. Have installed SD and will have a look. External HDD is formatted correctly (I think it had to be for TM backups).
I've used Clonezilla many times. It's handy as you can boot the iso directly from the grub menu. Not sure if it's ok with OS X though.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Carbon Copy Cloner is the recommended tool to use with either Lion or Mountain Lion as SuperDuper does not clone the recovery partition, while CCC does.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ahh but with the USB thumb drive SD with Smart Backup is my preferred option. With no thumb drive CCC for sure.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
I've been cloning my boot drives periodically since at least 2002. In all that time I only recall having two clones fail. One would not recognize my login password so I could not get into my own machine. The other "failed" clone actually worked though several files/folders were now visible when they should have been invisible.

I don't update the clones weekly but certainly do before any major changes. I also don't clone data since I use TM for that.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I don't update the clones weekly but certainly do before any major changes. I also don't clone data since I use TM for that.

I make a TM backup and a CCC backup together, usually every three days or whenever I do a major upgrade or installation of software. I use two separate hard drives for the backups.

OP
MacDuck
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2020 M1 MB Air
Thanks for all the info people! Plenty for me to go on there :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.