Can my MacBook be saved?

Reaction score
Hi there,

Hoping to get some advice as to whether or not my MacBook has seen its last days or can yet be salvaged. I've got a late-'07 Macbook.

The problem:
It stopped booting up. I get a blank white screen and touching the power button shuts it off instantly. I'm assuming this is a dead hard drive.. which I know ** to buy and replace, but:

The complication:
My optical drive wasn't working before the hard drive (presumably) died, so I don't know how I'd load an OS onto a replacement hard drive. (My Macbook was dropped and forever after made sounds like the optical drive was trying to start up spinning a disc over and over before eventually quitting. I think there's a disc trapped inside.)

My questions:
Does it sound like my optical drive is done, or could it possibly still work if I found a way to get the stuck disc out? Is there a way to eject a stuck disc on a mac that won't boot up?
Would buying an external USB optical drive work to install an OS on a new hard drive, or does an external USB optical drive require an OS to recognize it?
Am I wrong in the first place that the hard drive is dead? Does it sound like something else altogether?

Infinite thanks to anyone who might take a moment to offer their advice. It means a lot.

Thank you!

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
External hdd and new hdd.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.