Wireless mac disrupting my cable modem

Reaction score
I have had issues with loss signal to my internet/tv. I have an actiontec modem/router which was provided through Telus. This works as a wireless router as well as modem for tv.

The past couple of weeks i have been getting signal loss from the actiontec. Every hour or so it seems to reboot. I also lose internet. When it reboots everythng works except on my wifi mac i have to manually turn the wifi off/on to grab the signal.

I have since kept the mac off to see if it makes a difference. So far no signal loss from the actiontec 1000.

Could the wireless from the imac actually cause a drop of internet signal etc from the actiontec?

Thanks

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
How many wireless devices do you have connecting to this router? How old/new is the router?

With the signal loss, is the router actually power-cycling or is the Internet just cutting out?

OP
T
Reaction score
Oh hey! Thanks for replying! This has been driving me nuts for the past few weeks. 3 field techs etc.
Devices connected but not all at same time would be phone, ipad, 1mac, ps3, xbox. Xbox/ps3 only used periodically.

The modem is new. I have had it replaced 2-3 times now. Field techs were trying to troubleshoot. But since i turned my mac off thus not using the wifi. I havent had a signal loss yet.

And hmm not sure i lose the power but i definitely lose DsL and internet. It comes back after what seems like a reboot.

Thanks again!

What if i disable the wifi and add a router?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I don't know which model Actiontec you have, however, if you have an older model it may be defective. I'm not sure how Telus is setup with regard to the incoming LAN signal, but the Actiontec is supposed to provide a wireless or wired (depends on the model) signal to your TV cable box and at the same time internet access. Internet access can be via ethernet or wireless.

The first thing to do is have your ISP Telus do a signal analysis of the setup and probably replace the Actiontec with a newer one. If the Actiontec is rebooting there's a problem with it and has nothing to do with your Mac. I have had my Actiontec router replaced twice, the latest replacement is a much improved model with dual antennas and a very easy user configuration setup. (My ISP is Verizon who uses the Actiontec for FIOS TV and Internet.)

OP
T
Reaction score
This current actiontec V1000 which is the one they use. Its new. I cant imagine its a modem issue. Imhave my mac turned off and no signal loss. Must be some interference with wifi mac and modem *shrug*

And yes its set up as you suggested.

Thanks again.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
It could well be interference. BTW, my model Actiontec is a proprietary model for Verizon FIOS only so it's likely to be a different setup entirely from what Telus is using.

OP
T
Reaction score
I am totally stumped! I disabled the wireless on my actiontec 1000. Added the airport ectreme. Conneted my second mac wirlessly.

I am still getting a signal error every half hour to an hour! Grrrrr.

Any idea what i should do or ask my internet provider telus?

Sooooooo frustrated as if i leave my second mac turned off i get no interruptions.

Ugh

Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 13" | MacBook Pro 13" | Mac Mini 2GHz C2D
how close together are the two?

OP
T
Reaction score
how close together are the two?

Oh the two imacs are approximately 4-5 feet from each other. The firstmone is hardwired. The second is wireless via airport base station.

Thanks

Maybe i should hard wire the second one and see what happens. I shouldnt have to though. More cables etc and defeats wireless lol

So frustrating. Never happened in the first 5-6 months of service.

Reaction score
Were you able to find a solution to your problem? I've been having similar problems with repeated internet outages that I strongly suspect are being caused by my iMac (older 2006 model). I've gone through 3 cable modems and 2 wireless routers trying to pinpoint the issue. They're all sitting within a few feet of each other on the same desk. Did swapping around your wired setup make any difference?

OP
T
Reaction score
Not sure what solved this but when the Telus internet provider business tech came by he mentioned that the actiontec router didnt play nice with macs. Something to do with the dns servers. We switched the dns servers within the router to google public dns servers. I havent had isssues since.

But i am still suspicious that it just wasnt the dns issue. But im no techy so i will live with what he claimed.

All is well.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Some friends of mine in Arizona using COX had that DNS issue with their router and they changed their DNS and the drops went away and it's been 2 years and never a drop. give it a try. Before they changed the DNS to either Open DNS or Google they had drops a few times a day.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.