MacBook Pro 2012 (Non Retina) - Advice Needed

Reaction score
Good Evening All,

Rather than revive my original thread http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/apple-notebooks/292245-macbook-pro-retina-gaming.html I thought it would best to start a new one as after much research I have decided to migrate and join the Apple forces although I need some last minute advice.

I've viewed and read countless more reviews and also spoken to a few Apple representatives and have decided for many reasons that its best for me to stick to the MacBook Pro 2012 (Non Retina) for my first purchase instead of going all out on the retina.

What I need some clarity on is;

1) How much roughly in £/$ does it cost to upgrade RAM and Hard drives on the MacBook Pro (Non Retinas)?

2) How hot do the Laptops get while sitting on a desk during normal use and also for higher use (Video/Music Processing & Gaming etc)? My current laptop gets too hot and shuts down after browsing the internet and watching youtube for anymore than 10-20 minutes.

3) I'm not expecting them to be amazing for gaming and the reason I'm going to give a MacBook Pro a go is that I'd like to try and get more into music and video production however can the 2012 systems handle games like Diablo 3, League of Legends and some Steam titles at medium settings without much fps lag etc?

4) While I know the Mac Pro's are going to be much much stronger all around, can the MacBook Pro's handle the music and video production side of things well?

I'll probably get a fan/cooler for the system initially just in case but these are the main other concerns that I have.

Thanks for all of your help and advice so far in my other post, you've all been extremely helpful; :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2012 13" 2.5GHz i5 4Gb Ram 500Gb HDD
Good Evening All,

Rather than revive my original thread http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/apple-notebooks/292245-macbook-pro-retina-gaming.html I thought it would best to start a new one as after much research I have decided to migrate and join the Apple forces although I need some last minute advice.

I've viewed and read countless more reviews and also spoken to a few Apple representatives and have decided for many reasons that its best for me to stick to the MacBook Pro 2012 (Non Retina) for my first purchase instead of going all out on the retina.

What I need some clarity on is;

1) How much roughly in £/$ does it cost to upgrade RAM and Hard drives on the MacBook Pro (Non Retinas)?

2) How hot do the Laptops get while sitting on a desk during normal use and also for higher use (Video/Music Processing & Gaming etc)? My current laptop gets too hot and shuts down after browsing the internet and watching youtube for anymore than 10-20 minutes.

3) I'm not expecting them to be amazing for gaming and the reason I'm going to give a MacBook Pro a go is that I'd like to try and get more into music and video production however can the 2012 systems handle games like Diablo 3, League of Legends and some Steam titles at medium settings without much fps lag etc?

4) While I know the Mac Pro's are going to be much much stronger all around, can the MacBook Pro's handle the music and video production side of things well?

I'll probably get a fan/cooler for the system initially just in case but these are the main other concerns that I have.

Thanks for all of your help and advice so far in my other post, you've all been extremely helpful; :)

1) to upgrade to 8GB ram is $50 Cdn, 16GB is $110 Cdn, and to upgrade from HDD to a 256 GB SSD is $210.

2) I've only had my macbook for a few weeks now but it stays fairly cool (cooler than my previous Dell computer) while performing normal tasks (browsing the web, watching movies etc.). I don't think you'll have any problems with lighter tasks like that. Not too sure about the more extensive engagements as I haven't had time to explore :(

3) no clue about gaming, sorry

4) I havent gotten too deep into music and video production but most of my friends are and they all have Macbook Pro's and they seem to handle those programs just fine.

Cheers,
Devon

OP
E
Reaction score
Thanks Devon :)

Anyone else have some info/experience with the above?

Reaction score
Upgrading memory is CHEAP!!! No reason not to stuff 16GB in it right away. It's down to only $110!!
Upgrade Memory for Apple MacBook Pro to 8GB, or 16GB DDR3 1600MHz SDRAM + SSD and Drive options up to 1.0TB - for all 13

MBP mid2012 13" never gets too hot.

Games - I dunno. I didn't spend $3000 on a machine to play games :)

Video & Music - I don't see why not. They're pretty powerful.

I have zero complaints about the performance of my machine. My only complaint is about the 4 hour (or sub 4 hour) battery life, which sucks.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.