Numerous Problems since upgrading to 10.4.4

B

brooksj

Specs: 10.4.4, 1.5GHz PowerPC G4 Processor, 512MMB DDR SDRAM

My trusty powerbook, which has always run wonderfully, has done a personality switch on me-- the problems have crept up gradually, so it's hard to pinpoint an exact cause, but it does seem my troubles began after running the latest software update.

The inconvenience started with it frequently dropping the wireless Internet connection; my G5, which is on the same router, has had no loss of connectivity. About the same time, applications slowed WAY down and began to freeze on me, even when I had only one or two open. I also began to encounter numerous errors when trying to download files; the download manager would up and quit in the middle of it.

Adding insult to injury, over the last few days, the laptop will stop responding to the mouse (both built in and peripheral) and/or keyboard. I can still scroll-- the mouse will move onscreen and rollovers will work, but can't click and/or type anything.

I've tried repair permissions numerous times (a few permissions repaired) and have done a full system check in single user mode (no errors found) with no improvement. I just downloaded Onyx and have run that, too soon to really tell if it's helped.

Any thoughts on what might be going on here?

OP
J

jn4jenny

1. Download Applejack as a precaution. It's somewhat redundant with what Onyx does, but the important bit is that it can run in single user mode outside of Mac OS X. So if this bizarre behavior ends up freezing you out of OS X for any reason (either because OS X is screwed up, or your logic board is screwed up, or your hard drive is failing, or whatever) then Applejack might be able to help you.

2. Back up your data.

3. Convert your machine back to OS X 10.4.3 to see if that will fix the issue. You may have to reinstall Tiger and then re-update just to 10.4.3 to do this. It's a pain in the butt, but probably not as painful as what you're going through right now.

OP
B

brooksj

Update: Onyx didn't help the problems...

Everything's backed up in case of disaster; good idea to try installing back to 10.4.3. It can't hurt, and I've lost enough time to this that what's a little more? I'm just hoping it's something fixable.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.6 GHz Core 2 Duo 4GB RAM OS 10.5.2
Actually it sounds like you might have a RAM problem.. try reseating your RAM and see if that fixes the problem. I have read that 10.4.4 is more picky with in how your RAM is seated so that could be the problem.. otherwise yeah I would either try to make it through until they put out an update (might take a long time) or reformat.

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
I wonder if my pin wheel problem is due to the third party RAM I installed, since 10.4.4 is so picky.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.