Copying/moving files

Reaction score
Hello,
10.6.8 question: normal operation for moving files between windows on the same drive, I just drag and drop and the file moves as expected. Lately, it sometimes copies the file instead of moves it. That's right, drag a folder from one window to another and it moves it. Immediately after this, I'll drag another folder between the same two windows, and it will copy it. What's up?

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
If it helps, the general rule is that:

holding down cmd while you drag, MOVES
holding down option (alt) while you drag, COPIES
holding down cmd + option while you drag, creates an ALIAS

Ian

OP
Z
Reaction score
Thanks for responding. I am aware of these rules yet the problem I have is that it isn't consistent. Without holding down any keys, sometimes the files are moved, and sometimes the files are copied. Maybe I should hold down the cmd key to "force" the issue when I want to move files? It is just unusual that this problem has only recently crept up.

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
Hi

I'm sorry that I've not been more constructive, and I don't know the precise cause of your problem; but "forcing" the issue, as you put it, should at least achieve what you're after in any particular case.

Others may chime in with alternative ideas.

Ian

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
Can you say which folders exactly? Any permissions differences?

E.g. If you only have read permissions you'll only be able to copy-from not move-from etc

OP
Z
Reaction score
There are no permission differences, and folders are just indesign documents, pdf files, etc. This is done over a network with both source and destination in the same place. I haven't been able to find a pattern yet as to when it works properly and when it doesn't. Hmmph.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.