Updating to Mountain Lion 10.8

Reaction score
I am fairly new to Apple having been a windows user for many years. My Macbook Pro is a Mid 2012 with OS X Lion 10.7.5. I recently purchased an Apple TV only to find Airplay (Using PC in connection with the TV) will only work effectively with Mountain Lion 10.8. I was disappointed that Apple would not allow me to upgrade free as I bought the machine over 30 days ago but that said I am prepared to pay the £13.99 to upgrade. I have read various reviews from people who have had major problems after upgrading. Can anyone advise whether upgrading is sensible and if so how can I avoid problems with software after updating.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
For every 1 that had issues there are hundreds if not thousands that had no issues upgrading to 10.8.

App compatibility chart - link.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
As always - we do recommend you have a backup prior to upgrading the OS.

And of course - no issues except learning how the new OS is different than the old one.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I was disappointed that Apple would not allow me to upgrade free as I bought the machine over 30 days ago but that said I am prepared to pay the £13.99 to upgrade.

There is no reason you should have expected to receive a free upgrade to Mountain Lion. 99+% of us had to pay for it...thus you need to as well.;)

Mountain Lion was released in the UK on July 25th, 2012 (same date as in the United States)...and only folks who purchased an Apple computer just before the release of Mountain Lion & just after the release of Mountain Lion (probably about a 30 day period in total) got a free upgrade.

Since you purchased your MacBook Pro within the past 30 days (since December 2nd)...that's WELL outside the window for anyone to expect a free Mountain Lion upgrade! And besides...as I'm sure you already know...the upgrade price for Mountain Lion is VERY reasonable!:)

- Nick

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
There is no reason you should have expected to receive a free upgrade to Mountain Lion. 99+% of us had to pay for it...thus you need to as well.;)

Mountain Lion was released in the UK on July 25th, 2012 (same date as in the United States)...and only folks who purchased an Apple computer just before the release of Mountain Lion & just after the release of Mountain Lion (probably about a 30 day period in total) got a free upgrade.

Since you purchased your MacBook Pro within the past 30 days (since December 2nd)...that's WELL outside the window for anyone to expect a free Mountain Lion upgrade! And besides...as I'm sure you already know...the upgrade price for Mountain Lion is VERY reasonable!:)

- Nick

While all that may be true - if I just bought a "brand new" computer - directly from Apple - for $1500-$2000, I certainly would be expecting the latest version of the OS or a free upgrade to it.

If purchased through a 3rd party, then I'd be going back to that 3rd party and asking for it. If bought from what I call a "real" Apple authorized reseller like MacMall, they'll probably do it - from Amazon, Best Buy... not likely.

If this was a refurb'd unit - you takes what you get.

And if the machine was purchased prior to 10.8 being released and you've waited this long to upgrade, then have to pay.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
While all that may be true - if I just bought a "brand new" computer - directly from Apple - for $1500-$2000, I certainly would be expecting the latest version of the OS or a free upgrade to it.

You're ABSOLUTELY correct TOM...I TOTALLY forgot the fact that OS 10.8 is the latest OS verson...and should be pre-installed on all new computers being sold by Apple!!!

God it must be too early...and I TOTALLY "glossed" over that fact.

- Nick

p.s. Of course as you mentioned...if this computer was refurbished or was slightly old stock sitting on a store shelf...it may have had 10.7 pre-installed. I just checked...and "Mid-2012" MacBook Pro's were released June 11th, 2012 (before Mountain Lion was released)...so those computers would have had OS 10.7.3 pre-installed on them.

Since the "Mid-2012" MacBook Pro's are the most current model...I would think that any new MacBook Pro sold within the last 30 days...would certainly have Mountain Lion installed on it.

p.p.s. @"Beeky"....I apologize for the confusion. It's early here in the United States...and I totally got the details confused!!!:Confused:

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.