Sharing external hard drive Mac Mini to Macbook Pro

Reaction score
Hello,

Please excuse my technical ability as I am fairly new to the mac world.

I have recently purchased a Mac Mini and plugged in my external hard drive (FAT32, 2 TB) - The drive can be read when plugged into my MM or my MBP but when I share the drive over the network my MBP sees the drive but no files within it.

I have trawled through mutiple forums but cant find an answer.

My MBP is running Lion and the new MM is running snow leopard - could this be the problem?

Furthermore when I click on the shared hard drive I cannot change any of the permissions - it comes up automatically "read and write" for all users and this is greyed out and cannot be amended.

I read somewhere try to verify the disc but this does not work.

Is the fact I am using a FAT32 drive the issue?

Any help or advice would be very much appreciated.

Thanks
Jay

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Performa 6116 2GBSCSI 8MB OS 7.5.3
If this will be only used for Macs I would change the format to HFS+ as the FAT format has a 4GB file size limit.

Changing the format will wipe the contents of the drive, so backup the data first.

You also need to specify the users who have access to the share in the Sharing Preferences.

OP
J
Reaction score
Thank you for coming back to me. I tested a USB stick earlier and reformatted it to Mac and it worked a treat so just transferred all files around. Cheers for the advice, problem solved!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.