Editing Videos

Reaction score
I'm a musician and I have several DVD's that have been made for me by friends. They contain video and audio of performances. Often an entire show is recorded as a single file. I want to be able to break out individual songs and turn them into self contained performances that I can put on Facebook or Youtube. But I don't know how to do that. Do I use iMovie or iDVD or what?

Also, I have these DVD's. Where should I save the files on my mac: as videos in iPhoto or where?

Appreciate you sharing your experience.

C

chas_m

You would use something like Handbrake (free) to convert the DVDs back into movie files (or if they are data DVDs, then you can skip this step).

You would use iMovie to edit the movies into smaller movies. YouTube uploading is built-in, not sure about FB video uploading, but iMovie will also let you export the movie in a format compatible with whatever you want to do.

If the DVDs are data DVDs (ie the movies are just files), I would drag the movies to ... well, Movies! The Movies folder in your home folder. You can also store them on an external drive if you prefer.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.