MacBook Pro Stuck on Apple Logo with Spinning Wheel

Reaction score
Recently i tried to update to a newer vwersion of itunes from the appstore(an update that requires a restart), i left the room and then when i came back, the display was asleep and the sleep indicator was on but i couldnt do anything to wake the computer. Finally i gave up and had to force shut down the macbook by pressing control, option, command and the power button at the same time.

When i tried to turn the computeer on it got stuck on the spinning wheel and didnt change its state. I forced shut down again and looked on the internet for solutions. In the end i did all of the following things:

1) I opened recovery tool from pressing option while turning on the computer and tried- verifing and repairing hard disk with disk utility and i redownloaded and installed os x.

2) i booted in safe mode by pressing shift while booting and i tried the following- reupdate all of available updates in the appstore(one of them required a restart) but after it finished downloading and it asked me to restart i press restart and then the appstore stops responding, redownloading and installing os x from the appstore, deleting all the content of my downloads folder and recently installed 3rd party applications and i checked for viruses using "Iantivirus" from the appstore wich came up with no viruses.

3) I entered disk utility and tried to verify and repair permissions.
I dont know what else to try and relly appreciate your help.
P.S: i am running os x mountain lion 10.8.2 on a 15" mid 2012 macbook pro

P.S.S: every time i try to shut down the macbook when in safemode finder will stop responding and the only to turn it off is to force shut down

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Welcome to the Mac Forums.

First... please do not post a message with a continuos flow of text, which we refer to as a "wall of text". It's very difficult for someone to read through your post. I split your post into paragraphs.

Now, as to your problem: Did you try to verify and repair the hard drive which can be done from the Recovery Partition using Disk Utility. You mentioned repairing permissions?

Also, since your MacBook Pro is so new, you may wish to have Apple look at it since it should still be under warranty.

OP
B
Reaction score
Welcome to the Mac Forums.

First... please do not post a message with a continuos flow of text, which we refer to as a "wall of text". It's very difficult for someone to read through your post. I split your post into paragraphs.

Now, as to your problem: Did you try to verify and repair the hard drive which can be done from the Recovery Partition using Disk Utility. You mentioned repairing permissions?

Also, since your MacBook Pro is so new, you may wish to have Apple look at it since it should still be under warranty.

I did and mentioned verifying and repairing the disk( number 1)
And also I live in Israel which does not have an apple store

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I did and mentioned verifying and repairing the disk( number 1)

And also I live in Israel which does not have an apple store

If the hard disk checked good (I missed that editing your post), then it probably needs to go to Apple. I'm sure there are authorized Apple repair and service centers in Israel. Doesn't have to be an Apple store.

OP
B
Reaction score
Thanks for all the help everyone.
In the end though I tried clean installing OS X from a USB flash drive and that solved my problem

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.