Recovering deleted files

Reaction score
Hi

I had by mistake placed a file in the trash, and without knowing it was there, emptied the trash can.

Is there anyway of recovering deleted files?

Thanks, Jack

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro Quad Xeon 2.66GHz 3GB RAM, G4 Quicksilver w/Sonnet 1GHz Encore ST, 1ghz G4 Powerbook
Yes, you can recover deleted files with a file recovery program.

If the file is really important to you…
then the first thing to do is to not use your machine. The more you use it the more likely your file will be overwritten. (in part or in whole)

The next step would be to get one of the file recovery programs to find deleted files.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro Quad Xeon 2.66GHz 3GB RAM, G4 Quicksilver w/Sonnet 1GHz Encore ST, 1ghz G4 Powerbook
doki_2 said:
Hi immdb
Can you offer us a good recovery program?
Thanks,
doki

I have TechTool Pro onhand for such an occasion…luckily I've not had to use it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
I much can a recovery program recover.. if you accidently delete 300gigs lets say can the program recover it all if you have not useed the computer since you accidently delted the file..

R

radarbob

How much can be recovered depends on how much of the deleted files have been overwritten by new stuff. there's no way to know for sure. But NOT using your computer helps.

The key is the fact that when a file is deleted, it is NOT deleted. Only it's entry in a "active" file index is deleted. Kinda like ripping out the table of contents pages of a book, but leaving the actual content pages alone. The space the file is STILL occupying is marked as free and the HD will start using it as needed. How and when it will get used is totally ... who knows. This is why you want to use a file recovery ASAP after accidentally deleting.

IMHO, when that "oops" happens, you don't want to shut down your computer. Don't quit apps, etc. Just launch your file recovery program.

A file recovery program "follows the white rabbit." in other words it finds a chunk of a file and follows the "markers" (for lack of the right term here) to the next chunk and so on. To the extent that consecutive chunks are in tact, the file can be recovered. And in this way a partially obliterated file can still be partially recovered.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.