iPad For Business

Reaction score
I would like to use my iPad2 for business presentations. For this, I have downloaded the Keynote app. Of course, I will need a portable projection screen and a projector compatible with the iPad.

I would also like to be able to use my iPad to receive payments via credit/debit cards. I know there are apps for this, but there are quite a few and I'm not sure which one would be best. So long as there is a free wifi connection wherever I am, it shouldn't be a problem. But, how would I go about doing that if there's not a wifi connection. Should I use my iPhone to accept payments, or should I use my iPhone as a hotspot and still use the iPad to accept payments (seems to me it would be easier to see and sign such things on an iPad than an iPhone.

I'd like to hear from anyone who is using their iPad for similar purposes. What projector would you recommend? Also, is there a way to advance slides in Keynote without having to swipe my finger across the screen? Such as via a remote?

Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.8 GHz i7 MBA 11" OSX 10.8.2
I have done presentations off of my iPad. I have 2 connectors - 1 VGA
Amazon.com: Apple 30pin Dock Connector to VGA Cable Adapter Video Converter for iPad iPhone-white: Computers & Accessories
1 HDMI
Amazon.com: Apple Digital AV Adapter (MD098ZM/A): Electronics
So depending on the projector I use a different connector. (Older VGA vs HDMI)
Even some of the new ultra portables - require the apple converter so you'll have to figure out what you want to carry.
Portable Projectors at Brookstone. Shop now!

I've used keynote to give the presentations - you just have to make sure the presentation looks OK. Sometimes there are fonts or bullet issues. There may be picture or animation issues as well - so you'll have to clean that up before presenting. I usually use Keynote on my Mac - then save it to iCloud - then use Keynote on iOS to open it. You don't have to do it that way but it has become a pretty good workflow for me.

The most popular credit card payment device is square
https://squareup.com/
It will work with both the iPad and iPhone - but if you need internet you probably want to use the iPhone for accepting payments instead of relying on free public wifi. There are others too - but square is the one I've seen most used.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
No one with any smarts is going to allow you to scan and send their CC info over public wifi.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
No one with any smarts is going to allow you to scan and send their CC info over public wifi.

I'm glad you qualified that with "any smarts". ;P It never ceases to amaze me when I watch folks at Starbucks paying their bills and enacting business over the Starbucks public WiFi. Drop in a public library sometime and you'll see the same thing.

OP
J
Reaction score
All quality information Ivan...thank you! And thanks for the warning via public wifi Bob and Chscag.

I will certainly keep in mind the display problems that may occur when using Keynote. Of course, I will make some trial runs prior to ever "going live" with it.

What about a remote control to advance slides...is that possible? It seems like it would be a bit of a pain if I'm walking around the room a little bit and have to return to the iPad to swipe my finger across the screen to advance the presentation to the next slide.

Failing a remote control capable of doing that, couldn't I just run the presentation off my iPhone? Perhaps there is a bluetooth-capable projector I can use? Or maybe hook my iPhone up to the projector with a long enough cord that I can walk around a bit with the iPhone in my hand and advance slides that way?

C

chas_m

There is probably some solution to that. I use Keynote Remote to advance my slides (running on my MBP) using my iPhone, I wonder if there is some solution like that for your situation?

OP
J
Reaction score
Awesome! I'm all over that like white on rice, a paper plate, and a glass of milk in a snow storm! That set-up is going to look a lot cleaner using my iPad and iPhone without having to drag my MacBook Pro all over the place. And depending how things work out when I test it with my iPhone, I may not even take my iPad...just the iPhone, projector, projection screen, and that remote.

OP
J
Reaction score
While looking into that remote control some more, I found out it will not allow you to control Keynote on an iPad. However, I did some more digging and found this remote that will apparently do what I need:

Amazon.com: Satechi Bluetooth Smart Pointer Mobile Presenter (Black) and Remote Control for iPhone, iPad, iPod Touch, Samsung Galaxy S3, Note 2 & iMac, MacBook Air, MacBook Pro, MacBook, and Mac Mini: MP3 Players & Accessories

Looks like I found the thing to spend the $50 Amazon gift card my company gave me. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
That looks like the same remote - except sold on Amazon.

OP
J
Reaction score
Slightly different. I looked up the original one on Amazon and there were comments from people who said it would not work with Keynote. I then found this one and there's a comment from someone saying it does work with Keynote. It has a laser pointer, which is a plus as well.

Who knows though...maybe the guys who commented on the original one weren't smart enough to get it to work with Keynote. At any rate, the order has been placed for the one with the laser pointer and I can type up a review of it here once it arrives.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well - if you do get it and it does work - I would love to hear a review. As I said I haven't really tried any of it but it may be useful.

OP
J
Reaction score
I got an email saying it has been shipped, so I'll review it when it arrives and I try it out (will try it on both my iPad and my iPhone. However, since I'm in Afghanistan, it will take it a few weeks to get here.

OP
J
Reaction score
Downloaded the Keynote Remote app. I won't test it out until tomorrow thought (about midnight here and don't want to mess with it right now).

I checked out the projector. Based on comments made by people who have purchased it, it can be used with an iPad. However, at only 60 lumens, I don't think it's bright enough to use in a well-lit room for a business presentation.

OP
J
Reaction score
Tried out the Keynote Remote app and it works brilliantly. It even allows me to turn the "notes" on so I can see them on my iPhone rather than having to view them on the iPad itself. All I have to do is sync the two, and then I can control the slides by holding the iPhone in my hand as I walk around the room giving my presentation.

For $1, it sure beats the $50 remote control I ordered, which will now be returned and the money put towards a projector.

OP
J
Reaction score
Was thinking...couldn't I run the presentation on my iPhone via a bluetooth connection to a projector and not even bother with the iPad?

C

chas_m

Was thinking...couldn't I run the presentation on my iPhone via a bluetooth connection to a projector and not even bother with the iPad?

That would have to be one incredibly more advanced projector than anything I've seen, but hey maybe that's possible. I just have a traditional "dumb" projector that needs input to be hooked up to it. :)

Glad Keynote Remote worked well for you, I love it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.